Skip to content
Please help! Stye or chalazion? URGENT.
theXallie posted:
I am a 23 year old female with no major health issues. I wear both glasses and contacts but over the past month, I have only worn my glasses. Here is my problem--Tuesday of last week, I could feel a stye forming in the left eye. I have had them before, so I'm familiar with what it feels like. By Friday, the stye had become a small bump with a very clear whitehead. I knew it was ready to drain/pop anytime. It was in the inner corner of my left eye, upper eyelid. That night, after a warm compress, it drained. It was not "pus" but almost like a grain of rice, hard like that. However, since then (Friday evening) it was gotten worse. Now, instead of the small bump, it is a very large, very swollen, very red bump. It is still painful and sore to the touch. As I said, it seems to be getting worse instead of better. What concerns me, as well, is that in May 2013, I had a cut on my face which became infected with MRSA, and my doctor told me I am now always a carrier of it. He called in some erythromycin eye ointment for me--without an office visit or having seen it since the office is closed--just to be safe. My questions are: 1. Does it sound like a stye that will come to a head and drain or a chalizon that will last months and keep growing? 2. Will oral antibiotics help to heal it/reduce it in size? Or at least prevent it from becoming a MRSA infection? 3. Do you think it's necessary to see an eye surgeon about having it drained/removed? 4. How long until I should see improvent with the erythromycin eye ointment I am using 3 times a day & the hot compresses?

Thank you SO much to anyone who answers. I am so worried and at a loss.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.