Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
lingering problem from a stye.
whompadpg posted:
I had a severe eye stye on my upper eyelid almost 2 weeks ago. My entire eye was swollen shut. I went to the doctor who prescribed me prednisone and clindamycin,( and plenty of hot compresses). On the side of my eye near my nose was a pus point that drained over the course of the treatment, however on the other side of my upper eyelide there was nowhere for the fluid to drain and now my eye feels fine, theres no redness or new swelling, or pain whatsoever but my eye has not opened completely back up yet and it does feel like there is still fluid in there and that is impeding my eye from opening back up all the way. I feel like it is very very slowly getting a little better but im wondering will this go away on its own or do i need to go to the doctor to get it drained? I'm trying to avoid the doctor if at all possible. I can submit a picture if necessary. (my eyeball has never been infected or anything, just the eyelid).
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
When the infection and stye process has resolved, the eyelid should return to its normal state. If there is any question about lingering infection or inflammation, you need to return to the doctor. This is especially true given the very dramatic inflammation that you had when the problem started.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.