Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    cataract IOL replacement
    An_255159 posted:
    74yr old female with moderate astigmatism and 20/60 vision OS
    has been recommended to have IOL surgery with a
    "upgraded" implant (Trulign Toric) that cost $2500.00 more than
    medicare will pay. $815.00 to the Surgery center and $1685.00 to the surgeon for "extended care for refractive error." Is there any
    advantage to this extra care and upgraded lens??
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    For suitable eyes requiring cataract surgery there are a number of "upgrade" implants and procedures that target improved vision and less reliance on glasses and contact lenses after cataract surgery. These include multifocal, accommodative, and astigmatism correcting implants. The implant that you named is designed to correct astigmatism and decrease the need for reading glasses after cataract surgery.

    The additional out of pocket fees that you mention sound fairly typical.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    blurry eyes
    sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.