Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    swelling eye lids
    alsdf123 posted:
    have been expericing swelling in my eye lids every since a year ago when i strated to ware contact lenses on a daily bases. this swelling developed slowly. at first, my eye lid on the right started to drop down. then i realized there were some minor swellings on both of my top eye lids close to my nose. as the swelling worsens, i stopped wearing contact lenses, expecting that the swelling will go away. yet, after a few months, this condition did not seem to improve at all. i found that my eye lids had became very sensitive to make ups, face wash, and lotion. so now im not using any of those. the swelling gets worse just by minor rubbing or eye brow pulling. i tried to use pure aloe gel and organic cucumber to calm the skin, which did not work. now the only thing i put on them is petroleum jelly, just to keep the skin moisturized. i went to an ophthalmetrist, he said this was due to dry eye. he gave me some eye drops which did not seemed to help. the swelling is getting worse these few days. i can feel my eye lids being inflammed, especially when i blink or close my eyes. there is no pain. very minor itchness. but i can see some very small bumps evenly spreading out on, which were not there before. also, redness can be observed under the sun light.

    i tried to do some research on the internet. it seems to be eczema, but im not sure. i also think it might be an infection, but im not getting any discharge. so please, if anyone knows what is this? should i see an ophthalmetrist or a dermatologist? i am very tired of this eyelid problem. first of all, because im a female. also, i hate this feeling of not being able to open my eyes fully, and it always feels like that something is stucked on my eyes.

    i will be very appreciated if anyone can help.
    thank you!
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    Sorry that you are having problems.

    For starters, if there is ever any swelling or irritation of eye or eyelids, don't even think about inserting a contact lens. The contact lens will aggravate the issue at best and at worse, can transform a slightly scratched cornea into a vision threatening infection.

    To sort out the core issue, you need to find an ophthalmologist specializing in external inflammation around the eye. Thus, go to and press the link on top to "Find an Eye M.D." Then enter your location and select "cornea/external disease" from the pull down menu of specialists.
    alsdf123 replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:
    thank you very very much!!
    i have seen a few different doctors but nobody ever told me that.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    46 yr old female diagnosed with punder my pink eye
    there is a lump on the inside of my left eyes it almost looks like a big pimple or cyst..i went to a walk in and they told me it was pink ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.