Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trigger - suicidal comments on an 8 y.o. boy
m0912 posted:
I'm very concern, my eight year old keeps making commments about killing himself when he gets frustrated, or upset about something he does not do right or when you tell him thta he mis behaved. He always saids "I'm going to strangle myself, I'm going to cut ny neck off, or I'm going to hang myself, etc." He has been making those types of comments since he was 5 y.o. He is a very happy kid, does very well on school, has a very loving house and parents. I approched him today and ask him if he meant what he was saying and he said no. When his 5y.o. brother bothers him a lot he will say " I will kill you" I really don't know where he learned this, but he really is scaring me a lot. Please advise. I'm getting very scare.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi 0912,

I've added a "trigger" warning to the subject line of your post as the topic of suicide is one that some of our community members may not be able to read and a "trigger" warning lets them know that so that they may choose to read or not read a post or thread.

WebMD has a Crisis Resources link at the top of each page for online help.

- Annie

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

I too would be concerned, and take your son's talk of harming himself seriously!!

Children can be very impulsive and can kill themselves. A 10-y.o. boy in our town did so - this not uncommon.

You should take your son to a child psychologist who can sort through his frustration and anger and see what they suggest. There maybe an underlying condition, he may need some tools to learn to cope.............it could be a lot of things, but to do nothing is very dangerous and a risk you should not take.

Look up some local Dr.s online, make some calls and find him some help. I am happy to help with resources and/or links if you need them.

Take care, -Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

hello, all -- i have severe loss of hearing, migraines, sleep apnea, irritable bowel syndrome, and clinical depression. the hearing loss, the migrai...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.