Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My teen just started therapy - this is so hard to deal with.
Diatheke posted:
My 14 year old son recently started seeing a therapist and she thinks he is bipolar. He certainly fits all the symptoms I've read about.
Anger, rapid mood swings, irritable, argumentative, etc. to the extreme.
He has turned from my lovable little boy into teen who tells me things like he wished I would die and other horrible things. He is constantly insulting and berating me and my wife to the point where my wife just hides in the bedroom and avoids him.
We have only had 3 sessions but the psychologist was convinced he was bipolar after only 1 session.
The plan is to whether the storm for 2 more months until school ends then possibly begin some medication to control it.
I have spent many sleepless nights, worrying and crying over this. I have such a mess of emotions all the time. I love my son more than I love my own life, yet I resent the way he treats us but at the same time I know he can't help it. It twists me up inside constantly.
It also bothers me to think he needs meds the rest of his life, the whole thing is just awful.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Diatheke,

Welcome to WebMD! May I ask you why you are waiting until the school year is over until he starts any medications for the bipolar illness?

I'm sure that other members will reply to your post. Can I also ask how you found this exchange? Thanks!

- Annie

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Dad,

I hear you and totally understand. My youngest daughter is bipolar and her older sister also has mental health issues.

Waiting for treatment would not be MY option - I suggest you moving forward and finding a well qualified child psychiatrist to see/treat your son ASAP.

A good child psychiatrist usually takes a month (or more) to even get into see. I would not count on a psychologist to diagnose and treat a child with a potential mental illness. While the psychologist may be correct and informative, they do not have the schooling / knowledge behind them to treat a bipolar child - - ONLY a psychiatrist does.

This is no way to live - it is draining, exhausting and most likely taking a toll on the other family members mental health.
Your son needs relief today - as does the entire family unit.

Again, do not wait, this could be dangerous and it is an awful situation to live in. Make some phone calls and find a good psychiatrist for your boy - it can make all the difference in the world - I know, I've been in your shoes and my daughter is doing really well now.

I urge you to look into some support also. There is NAMI, and in many cities there are local chapters. There is also DBSA, also with many branches.
Online, you can find support with CABF (Child and Adolescent bipolar foundation).

Write back anytime.......am happy to offer support and any knowledge I can share.
-Kathleen

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to momuv4girls's response:
Dear Kathleen, momuv4girls,

Thank you for your insight and for responding to our community member. Since this board became an exchange it's been difficult for our community members to find so I appreciate it!

- Annie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother of a diagnosed bipolar disorder with extreme ADHD 9 year old son as well as a very active almost 4 year old son. I am a stay-at-home m...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.