Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    my granddaughter
    looking2help posted:
    I have a 21 year old granddtr who has had trouble with bipolar, depression, acd & those are just the ones I know about. She has had problems all her life. My dtr tells me that she is belligerent, bossy, flies off the handle very easily, demanding. All she does is sit in her pj's, eat or sleep. She has gained a tremendous amount of weight which just adds to her depression. She knows some of it is hormonal since she does get more agitated with her cycles. But she has no insurance & they have applied for disability for her. But until that becomes active she is being sent to worthless clinics who just keep changing her from 1 med to the other and always at the most powerful strength. I really want to get her hormones tested. I know meds can make you act & do things that are out of character. But I also know hormone imbalance can affect you in the same way. I am willing to help in any way I can but I don't know where to go. She just had her meds changed but has to wean herself off what she's on now to start the new one. Maybe take about 6 weeks. Where can I go from here?
    momuv4girls responded:

    I would start by taking her to an OBGYN for a full work-up and bloodwork to check her hormone levels.
    Maybe by getting her on birthcontrol her mood shifts will be less intense -- this is a common occurrence, and many women take birthcontrol for this very reason. There are many, many options to discuss with the obgyn.

    As I mentioned to the other poster today, I think its very important for the family to seek out support for themselves to learn how to cope and what you have power to change and when to step back.

    Here are some links to some wonderful support organizations:

    Your local state should have some med assistance for her, unfortunately it takes a lot of research, but there should be some help out there for her.

    Take care and write back anytime!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm a 42-year old mom to 3 sons. My middle child is 19 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago. He has been prescribed...More

    Helpful Tips

    Your healthcare provider is the best person to diagnose postpartum depression and to help you with finding some treatment. Mahendra ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.