Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
my granddaughter
looking2help posted:
I have a 21 year old granddtr who has had trouble with bipolar, depression, acd & those are just the ones I know about. She has had problems all her life. My dtr tells me that she is belligerent, bossy, flies off the handle very easily, demanding. All she does is sit in her pj's, eat or sleep. She has gained a tremendous amount of weight which just adds to her depression. She knows some of it is hormonal since she does get more agitated with her cycles. But she has no insurance & they have applied for disability for her. But until that becomes active she is being sent to worthless clinics who just keep changing her from 1 med to the other and always at the most powerful strength. I really want to get her hormones tested. I know meds can make you act & do things that are out of character. But I also know hormone imbalance can affect you in the same way. I am willing to help in any way I can but I don't know where to go. She just had her meds changed but has to wean herself off what she's on now to start the new one. Maybe take about 6 weeks. Where can I go from here?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

I would start by taking her to an OBGYN for a full work-up and bloodwork to check her hormone levels.
Maybe by getting her on birthcontrol her mood shifts will be less intense -- this is a common occurrence, and many women take birthcontrol for this very reason. There are many, many options to discuss with the obgyn.

As I mentioned to the other poster today, I think its very important for the family to seek out support for themselves to learn how to cope and what you have power to change and when to step back.

Here are some links to some wonderful support organizations:

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=your_local_nami

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_helping

Your local state should have some med assistance for her, unfortunately it takes a lot of research, but there should be some help out there for her.

Take care and write back anytime!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 42-year old mom to 3 sons. My middle child is 19 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago. He has been prescribed...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.