Skip to content
how to get a 21 year old to realize he needs help
bipolardad posted:
I have a 21 year old son who has been dealing with bi-polar most of his life. He routinely refuses to acknowledge his affliction and will not seek help or take any meds. In the past month he has moved into a state of refusing to speak. Other family members are afraid of him now. He simply sits around the house all day, plays some video games, watches tv, smokes and will occaisionally wander off for a walk that can take him many miles from home for several days. He enjoys the walks he takes but does not consider the potential consequences. Nobody can get through to him. He also appears to be suffering moderate paranoia as well as deliousions at times as well. What can I do????
momuv4girls responded:
Sadly, there isn't a whole lot you can do - -you can't force your son to take meds or force him to the Dr.

I think its important to try and talk to him every chance you get, even though it may seem like he doesn't hear you or care.
Tell him that he can feel better, and that you love and support him.

I urge you (and any other of his loved ones) to seek out support for yourselves. There are some wonderful organizations out there, here are a few links:

If you live near a major city with a teaching hospital and/or university, you may find support groups there as well.

Take care, and write back anytime......there are a whole ton of us parents out here!
bipolardad replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you. We will look into the links you provided. We are nearing the point where we may be forced to seek guardianship in order to force a stay in a facility that can force meds on him until he can think clearly; that just seems like such a horrible thing to do and such a violation of the trust we have tried to build.
Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi bipolardad,

We do have a Crisis Assistance link in the left hand side navigation bar that I think you'll find helpful as it lists a lot of resources for mental health issues.

We also have a group of mental health communites that you may also find helpful too.

Good luck!

- Annie
sadlymom responded:
I can't even imagine what you must be going thru. My daughter is 22 years old. She suffers with Sever depression with mild paranomia. She is 3 hours away from us. Those middle of the night phone calls are really tough...

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.