Skip to content
8 year old daughter
tammy_1982 posted:
Hi there!

I am a mother of three. My oldest is starting to concern me. She hasn't had any official diagnosis yet, but an IEP is in place for reading and math. they are noticing she is very immature for her age. She also seems very depressed at home, crying at any little thing. No real anger issues, but saying terrible things to her 3 year old sister when no one is around...things like that. Clinical depression runs on my side of the family, and her father had speech delays and learning disabilities. The school psycologist is being brought in next month. But I'd like to have an idea of what is in store for me, and how I can benefit her the most. TIA!

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Tia,

That is great you and your daughter's school are being proactive and noticing your daughter needs help.

Besides the school doing an evaluation, I would also have one done on your end. I would talk to her pedi and get a referral to a good child psychologist and/or child psychiatrist.
The more information you have the better.
I would also discuss with her pedi the educational troubles you are having and go from there.

As for her mood at home.....here is some good info from the
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=The Depressed Child&section=Facts for Families

Good luck Tia, and take care,
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Five years ago it felt like the end of what I would have called a beautiful life. My marriage ended and I became a single parent of what I didn't ...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.