Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Adult son off meds
    tunafilet posted:
    My 31 yr old son diagnosed with bipolar 11 stopped meds without my knowing, quit his job as an attorney, left his condo, friends, family and drove cross county to San Diego. Haven't spoken to him for two years. No contact. Has a history of psychotic behavior. Is it true that without medication he will not get better? How can I help him?
    momuv4girls responded:

    Bipolar is a life long illness that requires medication. Some conditions are more mild than others......but as far as I know, medication is the answer to lead a "normal", stable, healthy lifestyle.

    There is a something called the "kindling" model in bipolar which makes a lot of is a good link to read:

    As far as what YOU can do?? I say join a local support group through NAMI or the DBSA and talk to others who are dealing with bipolar children/spouses and who can offer support and understand your situation.

    Below are the links to both NAMI and the DBSA.

    Take care, and the best to you!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I am the mother of a diagnosed bipolar disorder with extreme ADHD 9 year old son as well as a very active almost 4 year old son. I am a stay-at-home m...More

    Helpful Tips

    Your healthcare provider is the best person to diagnose postpartum depression and to help you with finding some treatment. Mahendra ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.