Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mom with a 13 yr old daughter with bipolar disorder
Koda55 posted:
My daughter is a cutter and was diagnosed 15 months ago with bipolar disorder. Unbeknown to me, she tried to commit suicide twice and this I found out when I read her journal. I have always respected her privacy and had never snooped through her journal, but her mood changes led me to believe she was on drugs or something. Thank God I opted to read it because in it she talked on how she had tried to commit suicide twice and failed. And how she was planning on doing it again. She was saying good-bye to everyone and had a date (7/16/2009), time (3-4am) and means (cutting her wrists). I read her journal on 7/12/2009. She was going to leave the journal where I could find it. I took her to a mental hospital to be evaluated and was hospitalized for 8 days. She was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and is on medication. Since then she has had her meds changed and has had frequent ups and downs. Through it all she has maintained a GPA level of 3.2 - 3.6 in school. Other than her illness she is a great kid. Is there anyone out there that is going through a situation similar to this one, who might want to give me some pointers or just talk about how I can be a better parent?

momuv4girls responded:
Oh you bet ya - I'm right there with you Koda!!!

First off, I urge you to look into the online support site bpkids,
here is the link:

http://www.bpkids.org/

I joined over 3-years ago, and they have been my lifeline. The members are wonderful, informative parents going thru the ups and downs of raising a bipolar child.

I hope your daughter has a really, really good adolescent psychiatrist working with her and you, IMHO, that is key to get your daughter stable the fastest. You need a good Dr. that can help in a crisis and always have a plan.

I've got to run.....but, please write back if you would like, am happy to help share our experiences with you.

((Hugs))
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually Mood Disorder, nos and ...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.