Skip to content
Help with rights of mental patient
Need2knowrights posted:
[TRIGGER] this might not be the right area but i really need help in knowing rights of the best health of my fiancee. she was admitted for suicidal thoughts she is 18 and her mom feels she has all the say in her well being which is understandable. my question is if my fiancee feels that she knows what is doing the harm and is ready to work on it outside the hospital can she discharge herself without consent of her mother or a doctor since she was self admitted and is 18? also shes been living with me for 4 years after her mom kicked her out and im the bad guy but the hospital seems to be making her worse. so what rights does her mom have in this mental illness?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
[TRIGGER] Hi Need2knowrights,

I'm sorry but I'm not able to help you with your questions. Your girlfriend would have to discuss her health issues with her doctor and the hospital.

(I've also added a trigger warning to this thread as the topic of self harm is one that some of our community members may need to avoid reading about.)

- Annie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother of a diagnosed bipolar disorder with extreme ADHD 9 year old son as well as a very active almost 4 year old son. I am a stay-at-home m...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.