Skip to content
Trigger Warning
shaded_angel posted:

My nine year old, Ami, has been diagnosed with depression with psychotic features. On Wednesday I received a call from her school principal stating that he needed me to come to the school to speak with him, the guidance counselor, and my daughter. He assured me that Ami was ok and they just needed to speak to me. So, I left work early and went to the school. Turns out one Ami's classmates had seen her cutting herself with a scissors. We talked for a while about it. Ami saying the reason she did it was because she hates herself. Not much came out of the meeting. We left the school and went to my work. While we were there Ami's therapist called my cell phone. She wanted to talk to Ami but Ami wouldn't talk to her. So, I played the go between. I had to ask Ami if she still felt like hurting herself. Ami said "yes" I asked how she would hurt herself and she held up a pop top saying she would use that. So the therapist and I decided it would probably be best to bring her to the hospital and have them admit her to the pediatric psychiatric ward. So, she was admitted on Wednesday evening. Thursday she called me a couple of times just to chat. Then that evening I went to visit her and there were new marks on her arm. I asked her what happened and she said that she used a comb to make the scratches. So I pointed them out to the nurse who made Ami contract for safety and promise to tell the nurses before she hurts herself again. Then Ami told me that she was seeing things again, butterflies and ants and aliens. So, I also told the nurse that. Ami said to me that she is going to be in the hospital for a while this time because she still feels like hurting herself.

I am a cutter myself, have been since jr high. I know that the way my parents handled it when they found out was not appropriate, so I have examples of what NOT to do and say.

I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with it.....What am I suppose to do and say? Anything would be of great help.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

I am so very sorry for this difficult time. I completely understand how scary this is. My 10 year old daughter is dx Early on-set bipolar and we have been through our share of scary, difficult times.

((((Big Hugs))))

I urge you to check out (and join a support group) this wonderful organization that has been my lifeline.

http://www.bpkids.org/

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of parents on the boards dealing with the same issues as you are. They offer up support and knowledge like no other group I've found.

I'm off to work - - sorry to be so brief, I just wanted to reach out and let you know you are not alone, there are many others of us out here that care.

-Kathleen

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Shaded Angel,

We do have a Self Harm Community that may be helpful to you with questions about how to handle self harm problems with your child.

Take care!

- Annie

Spotlight: Member Stories

hello, all -- i have severe loss of hearing, migraines, sleep apnea, irritable bowel syndrome, and clinical depression. the hearing loss, the migrai...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.