Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
15 year old son with bipolar
kraushaar posted:
Trying to get advice on how to help my son understand that his attitude is not right. He firmly believes that if its not how he thinks it should be then its not right. Have alot of arguments over "stupid" people. Hes been getting into trouble at school over is attitude and mouth. He has no problem voicing his opinion on what he thinks. He can't or won't grasp the concept that life doesn't always go the way you think it should. Does anybody have any advice??

momuv4girls responded:
What meds is your son on? With stability, comes a more reasonable, reachable child.

A piece of treatment is meds, and the other part of it is therapy.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has proven to be very effective
for bipolar disorder.

Parenting techniques are also very important. As you know, there are certain triggers that set your son off, there are different ways to say the same thing without setting the child off.

NAMI has some really great classes and information, here is a link to see if there is a chapter near you:

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?section=Find_Support

Take care, and write back anytime!
-Kathleen

kraushaar replied to momuv4girls's response:
he is on Lamotrigine, which I know that is the generic name. He has been on this med for 2 years. I know that I have to change some of the ways I talk to him to get him to understand, things I didn't have to do with his 4 older sisters. I also know that part of the problem we have at home is his step-father doesn't understand, and trying to get him to understand is also part of the problem. He grew up with if they don't listen or do what they are suppose to do thats their problem. He's not a dumb kid, so he should know better. Those are his famous last words. Its what we hear all the time. THey get along great when my son is in a good mood. But things always get worse on his bad days, I believe worse than what they would have to be.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother of a diagnosed bipolar disorder with extreme ADHD 9 year old son as well as a very active almost 4 year old son. I am a stay-at-home m...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.