Skip to content
Where Do Parents Get HELP????
An_200166 posted:
Those of you living with grown sons/daughters with mental health issues, has it affected your lives? Where PLEASE did you turn for HELP for yourself?!

We want to help our 25 year old son but don't know where to turn! Our marriage is suffering because we can not agree on how to best help him because we are worried we might be approaching his health issues all wrong.

PLEASE share how you are coping! Thank you!
momuv4girls responded:

My daughter is still young (11 y.o.), but our entire family has felt the effect of her mental illness.

Support is a must ! Not only for the family, but the person inflicted with the disease, and YES, mental illness is a disease.

Depending on where you live, the community should have some support groups. (some cities do a better job than others, and in small towns, it can be tough)........Here are some general links to some wonderful organizations that have support groups. If you write back with your city/state of residence, I can get more specific:

You could also check with your local hospital's mental health dept. or your City and inquire about support groups.
Go through your local newspapers and see if there is support group postings.

Lastly, does your son see a Psychiatrist? Hopefully so. A good psychiatrist should also be able to point you in the direction of local support.

Hope this helps a bit. Please write back if you'd like more specific info -- and I'll do my best to help.


Spotlight: Member Stories

Checking out how member profiles work. this is cool.

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.