Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
feeling hopeless in trying to help my granddaughter
An_200167 posted:
I have legal custody of my 7 yr old granddaughter. she has lived with me since she was 3. Her Mom pretty much abandoned her at age 1.5. Her Day abandoned her due to her drug addictions (my son).
She has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, possible PTSD. She is extremely bright for her age. Very hyper. very impulsive. Almost seems to be going backwards in her behavior, doing things you would expect out of a 2 yr old. This week, she has urinated in the bathroom sink at school, Poured bath powder in her underwear and all over the bathroom floor at home, poured all the shampoo out in tub when taking a shower/defiant, refusing to do everything you tell her to do. An angel one minute/devil the next.
I take her for counseling and medication. _no meds for the last 2 weeks. She has taken Clonindine (made her too tired and gave her nightmares)Intuniv made her extremely tired and depressed. They weaned her off that and gave her Concerta. I gave her 2 doses/it made her extremely hyper and she was up until 5 o'clock in the morning.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Grandmother, I'm glad you reached out for support.

So, your granddaughter is not on any meds currently, right?

I urge you to read the book THE BIPOLAR CHILD, by Dr. Demitri Papolos. It is a very informative, easy read.
http://www.bipolarchild.com/Book/authors.html
Also, here is a link for you to explore and ponder, please read the Differences part very carefully.

http://www.adhdnews.com/bipolar.htm

Your G.daughter needs a smart, qualified Child Psychiatrist to do a thorough evaluation. I have a link to find one - here it is:

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/child_and_adolescent_psychiatrist_finder/child_and_adolescent_psychiatrist_finder

Lastly, there is a wonderful online organization that has support groups, and educational forums. It is BPKIDS.ORG,
or CABF. I urge you to join (its free), and look around and see what you think. The support group I am in has a whole lot of grandparents raising their grandchildren. Mental illness is highly genetic and often times the "parents" are too in-trenched in their drug abuse to raise their children.
You Grandparents who take on this task are AMAZING!!

Please write back if you have any further questions or need support, I am happy to help :)

(((Hugs)))
-Kathleen

sunup123 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Kathleen,
Thank you for all the info. It is very helpful. I read the Differences and it was pretty scary to find out that she has almost every symptom of bipolar. It really explains the things she is doing. She is obsessed with blood. Likes to make herself bleed and then lick it off her skin. I check out the list of Psychiatrists and unfortunately, there were none listed for my area.
I want to go to the book store and find the Bipolar Child.

Thank you so much. I didn't mention it before, but she has a 15 yr old sister who also lives with us. She is currently on Zoloft, Abilify and Intuniv and is doing well, but it has been a hard road getting her stabilized. She has some similar issues, but has a complete different personality. She has been diagnosed with high functioning Autism.
Thanks again.
Loretta

momuv4girls replied to sunup123's response:
Hi again Loretta,

Keep searching for answers to help your granddaughter - - - I KNOW how hard this disease can be and it can take its toll on us caregivers.

Ok, so there are no Child Psychiatrists near you - - what about calling your local hospital ?? I would ask to speak to the Mental Health Dept. and talk to someone there and ask who diagnosis and treats the children?? I would also contact your local NAMI chapter: http://www.nami.org/

If you wouldn't mind writing back with your city/state of residence, I can see what resources I can find for you.

It can be very difficult to find proper help/support - - but don't give up, there is hope !!!!
I'm glad her sister is doing pretty well, that's great!

Is it the 7 y.o. with high functioning autism or the 15 year old?

((((Big Hugs))))
-Kathleen

sunup123 replied to momuv4girls's response:
The 15 yr old is Autistic. Did not talk until she was about 8 yrs old. Has no social skills. W/o medication is very defiant and argumentative. Has no friends.

The 7 yr old has never had any trouble with communication of making friends. Yet, with her behavior lately, could drive they away. So far, it has been hard to tell which behavioral/emotional issues are due to her being abandoned, and/or abused and which are due to a mental illness. Her Mother has been telling her she is coming to get her to live with her, but never comes.

I do know about Nami, took Nami Basics and taught it. At the time, it was the older one giving me the fit. We have a local medical group paid by Medicaid_ Peace River. The problem is, they have a shortage of Dr.'s. She will see the 3rd Dr. in 3 mos, next week. It is not the same level of care you get with your own private physician.
It doesn't help that we do not have any family history on the Mother's side. I do not know of any mental history on this side. I know the Mother was abandoned by her Mother and there is not one independent, self-sufficient person in their family. I suspect some sort of mental health issues.

Spotlight: Member Stories

We have two sons we adopted at birth. One is 25 and doing ok. The other is 7 years younger. He always had a difficult time in school. We had him in a ...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.