Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD/Mood Disorder
carrielfeldman posted:
I my son has been diagnosis with adhd when he was in the kindergarden and has been on vyvanse 50mg once daily in the morning. we recently discovered that he may have a mood disorder as well. the physician has prescribed zoloft 25mg as well to take in the evening along with his night time medication. I want to know if Zoloft 25mg is safe for my son who is ten years old now?

momuv4girls responded:
Is your son 's Dr. a Child Psychiatrist ? Was this the same Dr. who did his initial evaluation ?

Treatment guidelines for a child diagnosed with a "mood disorder" is, FIRST, stabilize mood with a mood stabilizer medication and add on anti-psychotic medication if needed for break through symptoms. Once the child's mood has been stable for sometime, then a pdoc (short for psychiatrist) may cautiously want to add in a stimulant - or possibly an antidepressant.

Typically a child with a mood disorder can not tolerate an antidepressant medication with out having their mood stabilized first. You could end up with your son becoming more aggressive, more manic, more volatile, angry and a big mess.
I know this, because after a year of my daughter being stable, her Dr. did try a smidgen of an antidepressant and this is what happened to her. Many bipolar persons never end up being able to take antidepressants. Thankfully there are enough mood stabilizing meds that have evened my daughters symptoms out.

I urge you to look into http://www.bpkids.org/

Also, I would read the book THE BIPOLAR CHILD, by Dr.Demitri Papolos. It is an easy read with a ton of useful information you will need in medicating / raising your son.

Take care !!!
((Hugs))
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 42-year old mom to 3 sons. My middle child is 19 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago. He has been prescribed...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.