Skip to content
11 year old on abilify
Anon_238339 posted:
my son has been on abilify since end of june.....fluctuating between 5 and 2mg daily.....5 seemed to zonk him out so badly.

he's adopted from Russian orphanage at 2. great kid but ADHD and neuro/small brain development....He has NOT been diagnosed bipolar, but has had anger behavior, bullying impulse problems that the abilify has helped.....

anyone else with adopted children who have benefited from this drug?.....Before this drug, we could not tell him no without fury/anger/fit of rage.

momuv4girls responded:
Thats really great the Abilify has helped your son with his anger.

Its great to see a relief of symptoms and the "real" child come shinning through.

On the CABF website (click on link) http://www.bpkids.org/
There is a specific support group for adopted children - I urge you to check it out !!

((Hugs))
-Kathleen

calmhappy replied to momuv4girls's response:
hi there i also want to retry abilify again as it helped me much with social axiety and to calm my brain because i cant do it by myself i have aspergers and adhd with psychosis.in the clinic i took 25mg of it which was far too much i felt so restlessness i had to quit in 2010 and now i want to start again for long term at a really low dose but i have to wait for another month to see the new psychiatrist lady i can get better along with girl showing my feelings.

calmhappy replied to momuv4girls's response:
wish when i was a kid in the 80s there were such therapies for kids as today there was ritalin but my parents didnt give it to me.

Alihonmomof4 responded:
I have an adopted son from Russia too. He has many of the same issues that your son does. We like to say "he is passionate", because when he is good he is fabulous and loving BUT when he is off his is so difficult to control. He has currently been taking focalin and intuniv. The 2 drugs together have really helped him with his ADHD and his impulsivity. However, I am finding he is still having many outbursts, defiant fits or tantrums, and meltdowns. He is not usually aggressive with people but will throw things and toys when upset. His doctor suggested Abilify and we are planning on starting it this week. Is your son still taking it and if so would you recommend it? Many thanks and wish you the best with your special boy!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother of a diagnosed bipolar disorder with extreme ADHD 9 year old son as well as a very active almost 4 year old son. I am a stay-at-home m...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.