Skip to content
I blame myself for my child being bi polar
blamemyself posted:
My child was recently diagnosed with bi polar. I blame my self I did not do a good job raising my child i was always upset all the time, I spanked my child. my reading these are contributing factors how can i help my child when i feel like i am going into a depression blaming my self and feel free to blame me also i deserve it. does anyone have advice.
mom 68

momuv4girls responded:
First of all, I have to say I don't think you have as much power as you are giving yourself credit for - - bipolar is hugely genetic, and not caused by spanking or bad parenting (if indeed you consider yourself a "bad" parent).

You need not blame yourself - - I could feel guilty I have my "big thigh" genes to my kids, but what's the use?? 3-of my kids have big thighs, and one has thin ones.......get my point?!

You need to focus on getting your child the proper help - - a good pdoc and a good psychologist to help with coping skills.

Turn your focus into not letting this illness run your life or your child's - - Get the attitude that life can and WILL get better.

Start researching child pdoc's and look into this wonderful organization http://www.thebalancedmind.org/

You are not alone out there, so hold your head up high and keep fighting, because YOU and your child are worth it !!!

((((Hugs))))
-Kathleen

Anon_136178 responded:
PLEASE, DO NOT BLAME YOURSELF! You will be of no good to your child, let alone, yourself! Noone truly knows, what causes it, except, perhaps a chemical inbalance in the brain. At the least, get yourself a Therapist. It truly helped me a good bit. It's just, mine has been going for sooooo long & her popping out babies left & right, only makes it more involved. Please, find a good Therapist. The most profound statement I ever was told by one was, "She is a freight train, out of control. QUIT throwing yourself in front of it!" If only, the children.....

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.