Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
5 yr old with bi-polar and post traumatic stress disorder
Momma2515 posted:
My 5 year old was diagnosed with Bi Polar and PTSD today. Hard pill to swallow I have been trying everything for the past two years to help him without medication and to control his anger but to no avail. His pediatrician reccomended an excellent psychiatrist and today he was diagnosed. He was prescribed abilify today and will be taking his first dose tonight. I have seen great things about the medication but have also seen some pretty scary things. Does anyone have a child as young as mine on this medication?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

My daughter was put on Abilify at age 7. I totally understand your concerns about medicating a child, but if the psychiatrist is correct and did a thorough evaluation, then according to medical guidelines and current info, it is better to medicate than to not medicate.

I'm just curious, because you said he was offically diagnosed today? When my daughters pdoc (short for psychiatrist) did an evaluation, it was over a course of 2-weeks. There were visits with my daughter alone, visits with me and my husband alone, visits with us all together (daughter, and parents and pdoc), paper work submitted from her caregivers and teachers - then a diagnosis was made after all the meetings and paperwork was evaluated. Did this happen with your son??
He is so young, so I hope the pdoc went through all these channels before a diagnosis was made.

Abilify ended up not being a good medication for my daughter and we had to do several med trials before we found a combination that worked well for her. I do know that Abilify can help many children though, it just wasn't a good match for my daughter.

I wish you both the very best of luck with the med, and if you have any specific questions or concerns, please write back!
(((HUGS)))
-Kathleen

Momma2515 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Hi Kathleen~
My son has been struggling with these types of behaviors for almost two years. We have been through two psychologists and have been working with his pediatrician through the entire time. I had a major issue with putting him on medication, I wanted to make sure all my other resources and options had been exhausted first.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of bi polar on my side of the family as well as my sons fathers side of the family. His pediatrician had mentioned a few times that he thought that may be what my son has.
The psychiatrist yesterday, without even looking at the family history knew right away that my son had bi polar disorder. He experiences the high mania and the low depressive parts as well as the anger and the violence. Then there are times where he is just my sweet little man!
He did fine through the night last night, I was so nervous I had him in my room and barely slept. The Dr. said I should notice a change within two days, and if not then to have him take the 2mg instead of just the one. Im really praying that he will be okay just on the 1, but am willing to do anything to help him.
~Sue

momuv4girls replied to Momma2515's response:
I wish you and your son all the best !!

- Just wanted to throw out a few good reads for you in case you haven't heard about them yet.

One is: http://bipolarchild.com/
This is an excellent read with a lot of enlightening information.

The other is: http://www.ccps.info/
He has a lot of other good books and has been instrumental in me learning different strategies.

Take care!!!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

hello, all -- i have severe loss of hearing, migraines, sleep apnea, irritable bowel syndrome, and clinical depression. the hearing loss, the migrai...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.