Skip to content
Bipolar 12 YO Deteriorating rapidly
alxbrn1 posted:
My son has recently (finally) been given the diagnosis of bipolar disorder and he is deteriorating rapidly. He just recently spent a 6th visit to the local psych hospital and while there they abruptly stopped his risperdol which has caused tardive dyskensia. They now have him on Haldol to control the TD. We are extremely worried that we are going to lose him to a complete psychotic break, the doc said he was on the edge. They are referring him to a state run agency that is supposed to help him. What do we expect? What can we do? The mental health system in Louisiana sucks, even more so for children. I just want my brilliant, sweet child back. Any tips or suggestions for coping and helping him?????

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Andrea, I'm glad you posted!!

Navigating thru mental illness with a child is very, very difficult (but you know that already) - - You need support and guidance.

If you read some of my posts to others, you will see I always recommend the organization:
(formely CABF)

They have been my education and lifeline in dealing with my (almost 12 y.o.) daughter.

Haldol is generally a good med, helps with aggression and rages. Here is an informative page specifically about it:

Not sure where in Louisiana you are, but there maybe a local NAMI chapter near by. Have you looked into NAMI yet?
Here is the link:

They maybe able to offer some support groups and info. for you close to home.

I'm sorry your son is suffering right now, please check out the resources I sent along.

Take care of yourself!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 42-year old mom to 3 sons. My middle child is 19 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago. He has been prescribed...More

Helpful Tips

Your healthcare provider is the best person to diagnose postpartum depression and to help you with finding some treatment. Mahendra ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.