Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Bipolar 12 YO Deteriorating rapidly
    alxbrn1 posted:
    My son has recently (finally) been given the diagnosis of bipolar disorder and he is deteriorating rapidly. He just recently spent a 6th visit to the local psych hospital and while there they abruptly stopped his risperdol which has caused tardive dyskensia. They now have him on Haldol to control the TD. We are extremely worried that we are going to lose him to a complete psychotic break, the doc said he was on the edge. They are referring him to a state run agency that is supposed to help him. What do we expect? What can we do? The mental health system in Louisiana sucks, even more so for children. I just want my brilliant, sweet child back. Any tips or suggestions for coping and helping him?????

    momuv4girls responded:
    Hi Andrea, I'm glad you posted!!

    Navigating thru mental illness with a child is very, very difficult (but you know that already) - - You need support and guidance.

    If you read some of my posts to others, you will see I always recommend the organization:
    (formely CABF)

    They have been my education and lifeline in dealing with my (almost 12 y.o.) daughter.

    Haldol is generally a good med, helps with aggression and rages. Here is an informative page specifically about it:

    Not sure where in Louisiana you are, but there maybe a local NAMI chapter near by. Have you looked into NAMI yet?
    Here is the link:

    They maybe able to offer some support groups and info. for you close to home.

    I'm sorry your son is suffering right now, please check out the resources I sent along.

    Take care of yourself!!!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Five years ago it felt like the end of what I would have called a beautiful life. My marriage ended and I became a single parent of what I didn't ...More

    Helpful Tips

    "Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
    Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    23 of 31 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.