Skip to content
10-year old police issues
overwhelmed_mom posted:
My son is ten has recently been getting into trouble at school (but I have an IEP place). He got in trouble on the bus and the parents called the police! What to do now?? We are meeting with a officer tomorrow.
momuv4girls responded:
You don't mention if your son is on any medication, and what his diagnosis is?

How has your son been behaving over-all?

A bit more info would be helpful.

Thank you,
overwhelmed_mom replied to momuv4girls's response:
Yes my son is on Abilify and concerta. The talk of putting him on anti-depressants have finally been conducted, but we are waiting for summer (he has had some bad medication reactions in the past). His over-all behavior has been pretty good. Actually he has been amazing with his little brother lately. Most of his uncontrolled behaviors happen during school hours.
momuv4girls replied to overwhelmed_mom's response:
So did a Child Psychiatrist evaluated your son and give a formal diagnosis?

Children are complicated little creatures, and need a top notch professional to diagnose and medicate, because as you mention, they can have bad side-effects to medication and need to be monitored closely and see their Psychiatrist often.

What has happened w/the police and school?

overwhelmed_mom replied to momuv4girls's response:
Yes he has been evaluated by a psychiatrist. We have been going through this for five years. He also sees his psychiatrist every two mouths, has a case manager, and sees a therapist. Since this school year has started he has been suspended twice for hitting teachers and then they file a report with the police. Then last week he had an issue on the bus and I am not sure exactly what happened, no one can get the story straight. All I know is he may have twisted a boys arm and injured him. I do not support violence and am overwhelmed at how to handle such aggression. He is never aggressive at home and really just don't understand.
momuv4girls replied to overwhelmed_mom's response:
It sounds like his school environment is a big trigger for him, especially since you report he is good at home and violent at school.

Have you tried calling an emergency IEP meeting to get more accommodations in place? Do you have an advocate that can help you when dealing with the school ?

If your son only sees the psychiatrist every 2-months, then I'd suggest you calling and getting an appt. sooner rather than later to discuss the school and aggression issues - something needs to be done quickly to help your son feel less stressed and the school needs to do more for your son when he is triggered.


Spotlight: Member Stories

We have two sons we adopted at birth. One is 25 and doing ok. The other is 7 years younger. He always had a difficult time in school. We had him in a ...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.