Skip to content
needing support..9yr old son, bipolar/adhd on so many meds
AllForMySonNC posted:
I'm new to this, and not sure why I haven't started sooner. My 9yr old son was diagnosed at age 3 with ADHD and at 5 after being tested for aspergers, came back with a diagnosis of ODD and bipolar. After swallowing the hard pill, I've been in defense and fight mode on his behalf, as well as having a now 13 yr old daughter that watches the struggles we go through every day with my son and tries to be a good role model for her brother and a support to me since I am a single mother.

My son is on 5 different medications (I know, it makes me cringe too) and for as much that goes into his little body, he should be further along with his behavior and should not be experiencing a backslide right now that has me seeking a doctor at Duke University or Chapel Hill for a re-eval and a change.

Dealing with the public school system has also been challenging, even with telling his school prior to starting K I needed an IEP in place. He has one, yet we're still facing FAR too many issues and instances where he has to be picked up for his behavior, and is currently suspended for 2 days for hitting a teacher. I'm heartbroken, tired of talking about it when people ask out of concern, yet really need to know I'm not alone. Any input or advice you have is welcome. I just feel with all the meds he is on, he should be episode free...that's just not the case. It's like having the weight of the world on my shoulders with every decision I make on his behalf, wondering if I'm doing the right thing....

Hope to hear from someone that can relate
Wendy

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Wendy,

Oh yes, I can relate!!!!!

Parenting a child w/mood issues is very, very challenging - - it seems like daily there are new struggles and navigating through them is exhausting, draining and taps our mental energy!!!!

My daughter has a similar dx as your son. What meds is he currently on?

The school should be doing more to accommodate your son - rather than expel him. School environment is tricky, and you need some good people on your side.

My daughter was dx almost 5-years ago, and it is has been a lifechanging experience parenting her. Shortly after her dx I found the organization CABF, which is now
http://www.thebalancedmind.org/

I joined a support group and have been an active member since. Seriously they have been my lifeline, my education and my support !! I highly suggest you looking into the site for guidance and support.

I'm glad you wrote because you're not alone out there!!!

((((((HUGS))))))
-Kathleen

luvmybipolarson responded:
I can totally relate!

Last year my son (9) at the time was on 4 different meds and 10 pills a day. Not working! I chose the most difficult task of detoxing him during spring break. I have two other children and had to have someone watch them whole doing this as I wasn't sure what he was going to do after I caught him on top of his 5 yr old brother choking him and saying he wanted him to die. He went back to school totally med free and could not sit still. He also has adhd. So I put him back on his adhd med just to get him through aims and to his next apt. Fast forward today he is only on 2 different meds and is doing ok. We still have some tweaking to do, but if I could go back I would choose to detox him every time. I am also fortunate to have the school on my side. He is in a program for kids with behavioral disabilities within a regular school and he is in his reg ed class a majority of the day with the option of an out if he needs it. Good luck to you!!

sydamangrif responded:
8 minutes agosydamangrif responded:Wendy
I can totally relate. I too have a 14 year old bipolar child who also has epilepsy, adhd, and cannot read social cues , meaning she gets bullied and rejected which adds to her low self-esteem. She was diagnosed at age 7, and has been in/out of pediatric psych ward over 13 times. Right now, We are in the er because she was planning on hanging herself and even wrote a suicide note. She goes to a therapeutic day school, so she gets plenty of therapy, along with having an individual therapist and a psychiatrist. She is on 4 different medications, but there is no pill to teach someone who cannot read social cues. It is tragic. I have 2 other kids and had to have her move to her dad's because I could not keep her safe and watch her 24/7. She also began self-injuring last year. It is a nightmare. She needs to be in a long-term facility because she is so unstable and impulsive and her moods cycle rapidly. But that cost 140k a year and unless your child is psychotic, delusional, or hallucinating, the state won't give you the grant. It is tragic the way they treat mentally ill children in this country. I don't have 140k. Her hormones are also all over the place. Here is my suggestion to you...first take care of you, find a support group online. and Cabf is a great organization. I had to give up mainstreaming when I realized that the public school system could not handle her special needs. I love her therapeutic day school as she gets access daily to a therapist and group therapy. I had to fight to get her in because the school district has to pay the bill, but it is a year round school. These kids get into trouble if they do not have a lot of structure and routine.. My daughter would pick fights with her 2 siblings to the point they hated her, because she was going through a manic rage. If you cannot handle him and say, you tell him to get off the phone or computer because it is bedtime, which happened to me, I took away the phone and mouse and she fought with me to get them back. I called 911 and she had to be taken to the hospital. If you cannot keep him safe, or he is a danger to himself or others, then that is their job. . Many kids get into drugs/alcohol to self medicate... They have a 15 times higher rate of suicide than the regular population. Take it seriously. I have already lost 2 extended family members to this ....My prayers are with you. Also, keep all medication, even non prescription and knives locked up.Report This

Spotlight: Member Stories

Five years ago it felt like the end of what I would have called a beautiful life. My marriage ended and I became a single parent of what I didn't ...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.