Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lamictal and Antidepressant
sonsmother1 posted:
I was just curious if anyone else's child needs to be on both lamictal and antidepressant for a mood disorder, anxiety, and OCD. We are finding out very quickly that lamictal is not enough to control my son from his overreaction to things. We will discuss adding celexa on Monday with his doctor. His psychiatrist already suggested this previously. I was hoping we wouldn't have to add another one. We are not thrilled with that idea, but sometimes one medication can't do the trick. He needs to be able to function and not create so much stress for himself and his other family members. It's always a very difficult decision when you want to minimize medications.

sonsmother1 responded:
Come to find out the combination of celexal and lamictal is finally helping my son. He is not having extreme agitation or mood swings. Overall he is able to cope. I hate the fact that he is taking two medications, but they seem to be getting him to the point where he can now respond to therapy and cope with life.

momuv4girls replied to sonsmother1's response:
HI !!

Just checking in to see how your son is doing today??

I hope he is still feeling and doing well!!

((((((Hugs))))))
Kathleen

sonsmother1 replied to momuv4girls's response:
We just increased the celexal to 20 mg and he is still on the lamictal extended release. We are not sure if it's the combination of both medications or just the celexal that is helping him. I would rather him be on just one medication. He is doing a lot better and hasn't had any outbursts in several weeks. He is sometimes hyper and impulsive, but we forget that 12 year old boys are going through puberty. It's always hard to tell if it's just normal behavior or if it's the medicine's side effects. Overall he is going much better. Thanks for asking.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Five years ago it felt like the end of what I would have called a beautiful life. My marriage ended and I became a single parent of what I didn't ...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.