Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I need help! i believe my 5 yr old daughter is depressed and I dont know what to do.
An_248978 posted:
Hello,

I am very concerned about my daughters well being. My daughter is 5 years old and goes to kindergarden. We recently moved in to an apartment with my partner 6 months ago. About 3 months into the apartment i started noticing a change in my daughters behavior. I have also noticed that my partner and my daughter do not get along as much as i would like them to. I am always yelling at my partner to spend time with my daughter to show her that she is wanted but my partner insists that she hates kids and does not want to be bothered by my daughter. Lately my daughter has been acting out such as getting introuble at school, not listening to myself or my partner, and crying and getting upset over the littlest things(example: this morning she got upset and cried over not being able to a cinniman pop tart for breakfeast and that she didnt want what i gave her) which in return makes my partner upset and she yells and curses at her (which as you can imagine makes me very upset and i start yelling at my partner). I ask my daughter if she likes my partner and she says yes. I ask her if she wants us to leave and live somewhere else and she says no. My daughter just seems very unhappy all the time at home but seems to be okay when she is at her grandmothers house, school, or when its just her and I.. It is very upsetting to me that my family is falling apart and I believe it is putting my state of mind in a depression state as well. What tips or advice can i get to help with my issues? Thank you so much!

From a very concerned and upset parent.

momuv4girls responded:
I think it would be in your daughter's BEST interest to move out and have a place of your own - just you and your daughter.

From reading your post as an outsider, it is almost shocking to read your own words:

"I am always yelling at my partner to spend time with my daughter to show her that she is wanted but my partner insists that she hates kids and does not want to be bothered by my daughter. "

Does this sound like a happy, funloving environment for any child??
There are so many red flags here, I don't know where to begin, that is why I suggest you finding your own place where you can focus on just your daughter and not your love life.
And when your daughter says she wants to stay where she is, my guess is she says that because she wants you to be happy - - but sadly it sounds like you both are suffering.

Do both of yourselves a favor and move out today!!

Take care,
-Kathleen
"I am always yelling at my partner to spend time with my daughter to show her that she is wanted but my partner insists that she hates kids and does not want to be bothered by my daughter."

Spotlight: Member Stories

hello, all -- i have severe loss of hearing, migraines, sleep apnea, irritable bowel syndrome, and clinical depression. the hearing loss, the migrai...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.