Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    my life with a bipolar child. please help.
    juliekinst posted:
    Hello, I have a 12 year old step daughter who lives with us full time, its always ups and downs for her. but she is so defiant! she will not do anything to taking a shower to school work. the only thing we can get her to do is take her medicine. she is bipolar. she was in the hospital for almost two months. as soon as she starts doing one things she is supposed to she stops everything else. As if being a step mother isnt hard enough right? so my husband is in school full time and goes to work from five to ten so we dont see him very often except to get the children ready for school. she will only throw fits for me. thats it. she yells and throws fits down on the ground this last time i had to pin her up on a wall just so she wouldnt hurt my 7 month old. does anyone have any advice? all i feel like doing is crying all the time.
    momuv4girls responded:
    Oh my gosh.....where do I start??

    I know how you feel and understand your pain and frustration!
    ((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))) !!!!!

    I too have a 12-year old daughter with mood issues, who will have melt-downs and outbursts that rattle the walls and my nerves.

    There is the medication piece, hormonal piece, environment piece and our sanity piece - which makes a very complex situation.

    The very best advice I can give you right off the bat, is to find THE ABSOLUTE BEST Child Psychiatrist. One who only works with children and is smart, loving, kind and will listen to you and your daughter.

    Next, you need to find yourself some support. There are local NAMI support groups
    and online support groups:

    I have belonged to The Balanced Mind for over 5-years, and have learned A TON of great information, found support and friendship like no where else.

    Parenting a child with mood issues is very, very, very difficult and trying. You need help and support.
    If you write back with your city / state of residence, I can try and find you some local resources.

    Hang in there, I'm sure you are overwhelmed especially because you have an infant too!
    Breathe, and take one day at a time........
    Write back when you can, I'd love to help if possible.
    juliekinst replied to momuv4girls's response:
    Thank you Kathleen, I live in Oklahoma in the Shawnee,Norman or Tecumseh area. Sometimes i just feel like screaming, i hate to think that it is leading to marriage problems but frustration is always there.
    momuv4girls replied to juliekinst's response:
    Hi again Julie,

    Sorry for the delay......l have been super busy.

    Here are some links for you to explore, that may provide some help for your family and daughter:,_Youth,_and_Family_Services/index.html

    Here is a link to find a Child Psychiatrist:

    And this "general" link is specific to may need to call several places before finding a fit for your daughter.

    Take care, and do write back anytime !!!
    tigger responded:
    I understand totally where you are comming from. My 15 year old daughter has bipolar and it is one hard thing to understand and I am a step mom and you are right that is a hard thing. I know that it is hard when dad is not home. Hopefully you can work with her school as having a safty plan and have a safty plan for home. I do not know where you live but try to look into Parsons they have some great people that can help.
    Sometimes we do need a good cry to get threw things. If she has a counsler make sure that you have a session with them once a week so they know what she is doing from your eyes.
    I hope that this helped you some
    Please do not give up it is hard and there are people you can talk to even on here it helps
    Big hugs to you

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Checking out how member profiles work. this is cool.

    Helpful Tips

    "Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
    Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    23 of 31 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.