Skip to content
14yo son refuses meds and CBT for depression
2boyzmom posted:
Our 14 yo son has been very depressed for about a year. And, some suicidal thoughts in early 2012. Several months ago we were taking him to see a counselor who finally just told us that we were wasting our money because he wasn't really "talking" to him about anything. We finally talked him into seeing a psychiatrist. Based on a discussion with my husband & I, with our son, and the results of a test/questionnaire that he had our son take, the doc diagnosed our son with severe depression and bipolar. There are no signs of ADD or OCD, but definite signs of social anxiety are seen. CBT and Wellbutrin was suggested. Our son has flatly refused both with no explanation. Feels kind of like a diabetic refusing insulin to me. It kills me to think that there is something out there that can help him that he won't even consider trying. I'm hoping that some of the conversation sinks in and that given a few days he'll reconsider.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 42-year old mom to 3 sons. My middle child is 19 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago. He has been prescribed...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.