Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feeling defeated
Needinganswers35 posted:
My 13yo daughter was dx with bipolar/depression over a year ago, she has had multiple attempts at suicide and also self mutalates. She has been in IOP therapy w/o results, a stay in a psychiatric hospital and she currently receives in home therapy as well as bi weekly visits with her psych, she has tried many different cocktails of meds all briefly showing some improvement but then failing after a couple of months, her doctor has tried introducing antidepressants with her mood stabilizers but they have shown to increas her suicidal thoughts. She has been taking lithium for the past couple of months but has decided that it's her life and she doesn't need medication. My daughters mood is usually anger followed by rage. In an instant the pupils of her eyes cover her iris and she is violent, for a 13 y/o she is extremely strong and i have a hard time restraing her. She is physically and verbally abuse to myself, my husband and 4 other children. She is extremely manipulative and impulsive. You are only free from her wrath if you give her what she wants. She feelswe are deserving of what she dishes out and almost gets a high by creatIng chaos. We are currently waiting to visit some residential homes where she will be placed for a min of 6 mons, maybe a year. This was my last resort and I hoped there would be a med that would really help her. I can't compromise the safety of her or my other children, I'm struggling with the decision I made, her care manager explained that yes meds help but she needs structure and also needs to learn coping skills, I don't have control of her now, she barely goes to school imagine when she is older. I love her and will try everything in hopes that she will one day love herself and love life! D really help her

hopeiseverything responded:
we are in a similar if not exact situation as you have described yours. I'm hoping, we can find a support group to share ideas on how to handle the difficult situations like her anger and rage towards us (her family) ...Can you share your experience with the residential home that you have mentioned? We live in Colorado and I'm not sure if we have that as an option through our insurance company but if it can keep her safe, then rest of the family can be relived, it would be blessing....thanks and hope to hear from you and hope for progress and pray for us all.

momuv4girls replied to hopeiseverything's response:
Having others that understand our struggles is a great thing!

I would urge you to check out your local NAMI for support groups. http://www.nami.org/

There is also online support groups at:
THE BALANCED MIND, http://www.thebalancedmind.org/

There are a lot of other families out there that are going through the same thing you are - just finding them can be tricky sometimes.

Write back anytime!
Take care,
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

We have two sons we adopted at birth. One is 25 and doing ok. The other is 7 years younger. He always had a difficult time in school. We had him in a ...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191 ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.