Skip to content
My 8 year old son has been on medication for about 3 years now for ADHD and ODD
katiekat413 posted:
He has been on Concerta this entire time with occasional increases. He is presently taking 56 mg of Concerta. He has also been on 15 mg of Abilify for about 6 months. During this 6 months he has been suspended from school about a dozen times and he seems to talk of hurting himself more frequently than I ever remember him doing. I am wondering if this could be the Abilify. Has anyone out there who has a child on Abilify notice it affecting the child in a negative way??

Take the Poll

Has anyone out there who has a child on Abilify notice it affecting the child in a negative way??
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
View Poll Results
momuv4girls responded:
Medication is very individual - what works great for one child, may be a disaster for the next child.

My daughter was on Abilify for 2-months, and it was a disaster for her.....she was more anxious, more irritable, and became very angry.

It is very important to take note when a child becomes worse on a medication, especially when he talks of self-harm.

I would call his Psychiatrist today, and schedule an appt. ASAP to discuss other med options.

Take care,
BPdadof3bp replied to momuv4girls's response:
I agree. It varies by child. Genetics play a part (if you are BP and something works for you odds are it will work for your children). As I always say, you ned to find the right Dr. A specialist in children with BP. It makes all the difference.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.