Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mood disorder
gagah posted:
My 10 year old son has been diagnosed 3 years ago with very high anxiety level and odd. Now 6 months ago a mood disorder nos has been added. Its exhausting. Anyone have any luck with any meds other than risperdol, seroquel, geodon or depakote which is what he now takes; besides the klonapin for anxiety and effexor for depression.

momuv4girls responded:
So, is your son's behavior better now on these meds?

What are his doses of risperdal, seroquel and geodon?

My daughter has had great success with Lamictal - depakote made her worse.
I know medication is very individual, what works great for one child, can be a disaster for the next.

Does his psychiatrist have any suggestions?
Sorry for all the questions, but its helpful to have a bit more info.

Thanks!
-Kathleen

gagah replied to momuv4girls's response:
He is currently on 750mg of Depakote ER. It doesn't work; he might as well be on nothing. They just can't seem to find a happy medium for the poor kid. He cries why can't he just be normal. Doc just raises dose. I worry about long term affects with some meds like depakote.

momuv4girls replied to gagah's response:
When was his last blood draw to check his depakote level?

Maybe an add on anti-psychotic would be helpful also....has that been tried before?

-Kathleen

gagah replied to momuv4girls's response:
They just started low dose of abilify with the depakote then ween of depakote in 2 weeks. His psych doc and therapist are recommending placement. It tears me up; but reality is I believe he needs the help.

momuv4girls replied to gagah's response:
It "typically" takes a med combo to address the symptoms of a mood disorder.

It sounds like the Depakote wasn't cutting it, and maybe the Abilify will help - but before you consider placement, I think you may want to explore the med options first.

My daughter found the best stability ever with Lamictal, seroquel and risperdal. She takes a fairly low dose of each, but she needs all 3.

Abilify can be activating to some children, so pay attention to his mood.
Do you chart / keep track of his daily moods?

-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Checking out how member profiles work. this is cool.

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.