Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

struggling with behavior
advocate4mykids posted:
I have a son who is 14 and diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Anxiety and Depression. We have been managing him with medication and therapy and alot of effort on our part. He has become increasingly oppositional and defiant. We attributed it to the anxiety of starting HS. He has been in school for 4 weeks now, but nothing has changed. He is refusing to go to school now. He missed 2 days this week and 1 day each week the three weeks prior. I am having trouble getting any help for him. His meds don't seem to work. His therapist hasn't made much difference and the school won't be much help. Anyone with suggestions or resources would be appreciated. We live in RI.
momuv4girls responded:
Boy, do I understand !!!!!! - and am sorry your son is struggling right now.

First off, what about his Psychiatrist? My daughter's psychiatrist has been our greatest tool in helping my daughter "stay-on-track". As difficult as it is to pay for visits every week - sometimes we did have to go in every week. Typically, my daughter see's her psychiatrist every month now.
So, if your son's psychiatrist isn't stepping up, and helping with medication adjustments - or even new med trials if it has gotten to that point, then you need to find a new Dr. !!

Like you mentioned, this move to High School may be the trigger that has set him off - - not to mention his age, puberty and growth.......

Does your son have an IEP - or a 504 ?? That would be my 2nd course of action (first being the Psychiatrist).
If not - write back, and I will give you some ideas there.

Lastly, have you looked into your local NAMI for support?
I mean, support for you !! You need help, local resources and some other parents behind you who GET IT ! Most parents don't get it - - they think the child is just lazy or bad, and then they blame the parents for not parenting properly - ugh, I know!!!

Here is a link to RI NAMI

My local NAMI has a group for parents, your's may too, I highly suggest you calling - there are really kind and helpful volunteers who work there.

Hang in there, and do some research, talk to your son's psychiatrist - and if the Dr. is a slacker - then find a new one!!

I will be out of town until Monday, but if you do write back, I will ck in Monday - until then, take care !!!!!!
advocate4mykids replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you so much for responding. He does have a 504. We haven't met with the school yet, but I am planning on calling an emergency meeting. Our oldest daughter had similar issues and it was a horrible mess at the HS so I am not expecting much from them. I am looking into finding another Dr. but RI is really lacking in mental health services for this age group. I have been thinking about contacting NAMI, but haven't for some reason...I did just contact CHADD and I am going to go to a meeting. The hardest part of this is that none of my friends or family have these problems with their kids and I blame myself for everything, knowing that is rediculous, I still do. I feel so helpless and trapped in this cycle. We have tried so many things without much improvement in the quality of our lives. I will keep you posted on any progress. Thanks again for your help. BTW I think we have the same first name:)
momuv4girls replied to advocate4mykids's response:
You're welcome, I really do understand and empathize with your situation. (((((((((HUGS))))))))

That's great you are going to a CHADD meeting, but I still urge you to look into NAMI - they too are a wonderful, supportive organization. It feels so good to find other parents who understand the life we lead and our struggles. Also, you may be able to find some good local resources that can help your son.

Here are some more links for you to explore and call - - maybe one will lead you to find a Dr. for your son. A good Dr. is so very important in helping your son succeed long-term.

** Especially this last link - (the Hospital), I believe they could be a great resource and wealth of information to find help for your son.

Take care, and do write back anytime !!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Sister of a 9 year old and 14 year old, all suffering from anxiety. Just something that runs in the family. I'm just trying to get connected with ...More

Helpful Tips

A very interesting article
Hi group, I found this article to be very informative and interesting ! ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.