Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Struggling to make it through the day with my 7 year old son
proudmommy32389 posted:
My son is diagnosed ADHD combined type (severe), ODD, adjustment disorder with mixed disturbances of emotion and conduct, and anxiety disorder NOS. When we had the testing he was diagnosed also as borderline childhood bipolar disorder. I'm beginning to wonder if I am in over my head, but I know the Lord will not give me more than I can handle and he blessed me with this child for a reason. But some days I just don't think I can do it anymore. We have done medicine which helped with his focusing but not with anything else. So, we have stopped medication until we can get insurance to cover a different type.

He has become excessively violent towards himself and others. The other night he was so bad that I told him I was going to have to take him to the pediatric mental health hospital. He said he didn't care and that maybe he needed to go. He has told me he wanted to die and that we would be better off without him. Then, some days he is the happiest kid in the world (these have gotten fewer and fewer though). I feel like we are on a roller coaster ride that is never ending and I just want it to stop. We have seen psychologists, psychiatrists, behavioral therapists, and many others. They all say that it is part of his ODD and adjustment disorder. It feels more like bipolar to me, but he doesn't have that "clinical" diagnosis. When do I draw the line and take it to the next step because I am at the end of my rope and I can't continue to see my child suffer!

momuv4girls responded:
I am so very sorry to hear about your young son !!!

My daughter was diagnosed at 6.5 with "mood disorder", and I understand how difficult this all is !!!!

I have written a bunch of posts on this community board, and always want to encourage and help other parents who are struggling.

So, is your son on any medication now? What about his current Psychiatrist ?
I feel the exact diagnosis isn't important, as much as the fact that the Dr. medicates for the symptoms.......and whether its working or not ?
From the sounds of it, things are not working now. What does his Dr. say ??

You need help, support and guidance, because raising a child like ours is exhausting, draining, isolating, and scary. Not to mention what its doing to your little boy.

I always like to mention NAMI - - have you checked with your local chapter for help and support ?

If you write back with your city and state of residence, I can try and find you some local resources to contact.

(((((HUGS))))
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 42-year old mom to 3 sons. My middle child is 19 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago. He has been prescribed...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload a Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.