Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Depression
An_255076 posted:
My 24 yr old daughter recently told me she has been depressed for years and has been harming herself by slamming her body or arms, legs etc to try to relief her pain. She also admitted she thinks a lot of suicide. I am taking her into a dr. Tomorrow in hopes of getting a referral for another dr. I am feeling helpless and paralyzed with fear for her safety . I am wanting any and all advise on how to help her with this and in turn help us as a family.

momuv4girls responded:
I'm glad you are helping your daughter seek treatment, I hope you find a really good, smart Psychiatrist to treat her.

I urge you to look to your local NAMI for support. They are a fantastic organization with in-person support groups for both you and your daughter.

Here is the link to find one near you:
http://www.nami.org/

Take care!
-Kathleen

pmorg replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you .i would love to hear any advise there is out there as this is a new journey for our family .

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.