Skip to content
Prozac
puppymom57 posted:
My son has been on 10mg Prozac for 6 weeks and the doctor increased to 20mg. How long before the increase is in his system? He seems to have developed insomnia over the last week.

Also, I recently saw an article that said there is an even higher risk of suicide when taking Prozac than originally thought. Does anyone have any information about this?

Puppymom57

momuv4girls responded:
What is your son's diagnosis? Medications like Prozac can potentially cause more suicidal thinking and mania in some.

Its VERY important to note your son's moods/behavior when starting and increasing a medication.

Is your son's Dr. a Psychiatrist? How old is your son?

You son being unable to sleep, could possibly be agitation from the medication - I would note it, and bring it up with his Dr.

-Kathleen

puppymom57 replied to momuv4girls's response:
He is almost 18 and was diagnosed with depression. He has had a recent bought with mono. I have brought the insomnia to the doctor's attention and he said to keep an eye on him. I have not noticed any other mood changes since increasing the dose.

joyastle responded:
I had a daughter on prozac for 2 years when she was very young. We never had any issues of suicide threats, but we did have sleep issues. We started melatonin and it worked great. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother of a diagnosed bipolar disorder with extreme ADHD 9 year old son as well as a very active almost 4 year old son. I am a stay-at-home m...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.