Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My 19 year old daughter may have bipolar depression I need help
texas4 posted:
My sweet daughter started showing signs of unhappiness in middle school. I noticed she never smiled anymore. I would ask her everyday " are you ok, " she never would tell me what's bothering her until the end of the school year. Her high school years were not better, she seemed fine but never wanted to go early to school just in time for the bell to ring. She would never tell me what's wrong every year. She did have signs of thyroid disease while a freshman in high school but I nor the dr. s caught she had hypothyroidism until she was a freshman in college. While away at college she dropped all her classes midway through. She said she didn't like the people. We brought her back home and she resented our choice. She slept all day for weeks, she wouldn't do anything. I thought she was just rebelling for bringing her home from college. Now she dropped all but 2 classes this past fall and this spring she dropped all but 2 classes again. She has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and a dr said she may have bipolar depression and suggest a psychiatrist, which she has an appointment soon. She had been on sertraline and pristiq which did nothing.for her she says but keep her up at night. She's now on symbayx for 2 days now and sleeps all day on this drug. She has put on quite a bit of weight and she won't exercise because she said voices keep her from it. She lives in a apartment with her puppy close to campus. She has very few people she can call friends at college. She has been to parties and drank until she was put on sertraline. I'm pretty sure she's not doing illegal drugs. She is 5 hours one way from us. She can't control her finances. She has no motivation she says. She does have motivation to go to parties and play video games. She sees the campus counselor every week. I don't know what to do. I feel I let her down all these years.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.