Skip to content
Need advice and support
sadmom1225 posted:
I've been researching on line for a support group for parents with teens dealing with depression. There is nothing out there. This makes me sad. My 16 yr old daughter was diagnosed with depression approximately 6 months ago. We have a local therapist and a psychiatrist. She recently started on a low dose antidepressant. I get so frustrated by her behavior and the lack there of. We try everything to get her to be happy. We just took her on a great vacation to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Now we are back home, she is all sad and depressed again. She is a photography nut. She has an awesome camera and I know took tons of pics on vacation. She hasn't even looked at them since we got back. I am so frustrated. I just want to cry. I need support and someone to tell me how to deal with this. I truly thought if I could just find a group of other parents dealing with the same stuff... I could talk to them and find support.. but so far I am striking out. Maybe I will strike out here as well, but I figured I would try and see if I get any responses.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter is struggling - sounds like you are doing a great job finding her help.

2-of my daughters struggle with depression, and along my journey I discovered The Balanced Mind Foundation
http://www.thebalancedmind.org/
The parents have been my lifeline these past 8-years!! They are kind, compassionate and best of all, they "GET IT". They understand the difficulties and complexities that come with having a child who has depression and/or anxiety.
I highly urge you to join (it costs 5.00/month) and sign up for one of their many online support groups.

As you are learning - - medication is individual, what works for one, can be a disaster for another. My 4th daughter has run through many, many medication trials. Currently she is in an IOP program at a hospital nearby and its helping tremendously!!
Has any one brought up this type of program for your daughter?

I'm glad you wrote, there are many of us parents out here, and I'm happy to offer up help and support anytime.
Take care!!!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Checking out how member profiles work. this is cool.

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.