Skip to content
15 Year old Grandson may have depression
An_258916 posted:
My grandson's parents have been divorced since he was 5. His mother has been taking him to Chiropractors who use kinesiology and other such stuff since then as he complained of headaches. This is just the tip of the iceberg. He has been on so many OTC pills to "help" him, my son and I don't know what most of them are. He is a high IQ child and has always done extremely well in school. Starting in the 9th grade, at the beginning of the year, be complained of severe headaches, brain fog, lethargy, etc until his mom took him out of school and took him to a Dr. of allergies in Dallas (environmental). She was told he had severe environmental allergies and was given more pills and shots. He did homework at home and aced everything but could not handle school. The same thing happened when he started the 10th grade so he did virtual schooling. Now, he recently restarted the 10th grade and for two and half weeks was gung ho, but headaches, etc have started and his mother has kept him out of school this past week. Help, who do we turn too! His father and I are frantic.
momuv4girls responded:
This is a difficult situation on many levels.

Your G-son has had his mom directing his medical care for many years now........this may be a hard pattern to change.

His Dad may need to get involved by going to Dr. appointments with the mom and son - - trying to learn what is going on.
They may need to go to a therapist (LMFT) ALL together to try and sort out what type of care is needed, and figure out a plan so everyone can be involved.

Take care!

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

"Trigger "warnings - please add them to your post subject lines!
Hi Everyone! Please add a "Trigger" warning to any post starter that has a topic of self harm. Self harm is a sensitive topic and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.