Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Flu Shot
Beckster025 posted:
Good Afternoon!! I have been looking for this information and I can't seem to find it. Is FMS a neurolocial condition? If so, I am wondering if it is safe to get my flu shot this year. The information they posted was that if you have a neuroligical condition you should not get the shot. I don't know if I am just not looking in the right place, or if I don't know what I am searching for. Any input is greatly appricated!! Becky

Anjl26 responded:
FM is not considered a neurological condition and yes, it's safe to get a flu shot.

jaxgirl1952 responded:
Hi Becky I have a flu shot every October and have an appointment for one in two weeks. I have had FM for 17 years and I always have a shot and have never had a reaction. I cannot imagine having the flu on top of how we already feel! Karen

sleepwalking responded:
New research points towards malfunctions within the central nervous system as a cause of fibromyalgia. Abnormal levels of "neurotransmitters" (chemicals that transmit nerve signals in the brain) and/or hormone levels have been reported in fibromyalgia patients. Here is some other research: www.nervepathology.com/downloads/NeuralScan_Fibromyalgia.pdf I got a flu shot last year and got so sick that it turned into pneumonia. Like many with FM I seem to have a compromised immune system. After I recovered from that (2 months) I went and got a pneumonia shot which is supposed to last 5 years. I would like to get a flu shot again despite my last experience because I think the flu, if I get it, might just finish me off for good.

Socialwrkr responded:
My doc says it's safe for fibro patients to get the flu shot and in fact, she highly recommends it! I got my first one last year and had my first year without a significant bout of pneumonia in several years. I usually get a severe cold/flu that ends up in my lungs. So I already got mine for this year!! For me, it's a great thing! I hope whatever you decide works well for you!! Take care

annette_030 responded:
Flu shots are safe for folks with FMS. I have had FMS for about 13 years and have never missed a flu shot, and never had the flu. My doctor encourages all her patients to get them, unless they have a specific problem that contraindicates them. We are getting ours next week. Take care, Annette

annette_030 responded:
Your illness was NOT from the flu shot you had. The injectable vaccine is made of dead virus and CANNOT make you sick. People can get a local inflammatory reaction at the injection site, but not a systemic illness like flu or pneumonia. The nasal spray vaccine is made from a weakened form of the virus and there is a remote possibility that you could get ill after having it if your immune system is compromised. I think FMS is a neurological problem, but not one of the types that would preclude you from having the flu shot. Thousands of people a year die from the flu. It is not always a benign illness. We seem to have this discussion here every year. Thanks for the link. Take care, Annette

limhwa responded:
I had a bad reaction in 1987 to the flu shot. I was working in a Hospital as a Radiologic Technologist and they " suggested" we alll get the shot. It was my first.. Then I was diagnosed with FMS in 1996. It took me that long to find out why I never recovered form the muscle aches, fatigue, headaches, bowel problems, joint pain and memory problems. I also started to come down with almost every illness I came in contact with.. My doctors said it was not related to FMS, but the truth is, no one wants a lawsuit. No one would say it was, because Doctors stick together against lawsuits. Get the shot if you liike. I don't recomend it.

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.