Skip to content
L4-S1 Bulging Discs/PAIN!!!
CORYSGIRL30 posted:
I know some of you out there have bulging discs too, spine & sacro issues and alike....

How do you relieve the pain? I'm only taking naproxen for it 3x per day 500mg. I was up in tears last night, in so much pain....I took a Tramacet at bedtime but the pain only got worse.

I had the Physiatrist's nurse fax my CT scan results to my reg. doc, as I see the reg. doc tomorrow morning. The Physiatrist isn't wanting to do anything for me. So I'm hoping to get referred to a spine doc (not sure what they're called).

I also have arthritis at the facet joint at L5. And the psoas muscles on both sides of my spine are shortened.

Thanks in advance!

Narey responded:
Just want to give support and encouragement. I 'feel your pain" with bulging and herniated discs up and down my whole spine. Hope you do get some relief!!

fibroinsd responded:
Wish I had a magic wand to make the pain go away. I know I have "problems" with my L5...but can' t remember what she said about it...And thank goodness my pain is doable these days...nothing like yours...I hope you do ok today.... wish I had more to help with.

cece

bluelove9 responded:
Julie,

I have similar issues. Nerve pain is the worst pain to get control of..which is why so many drs want to do surgery, to alleviat nerve pain. Call the doc again and ask about what meds they would use to treat this pain.

I find that getting regular manipulations has helped me tremendously. By an osteopath, NOT a chiro!

I'm sorry you're going through this and wish I could do more

~Blue

Foxgrove responded:
Julie... I'm so very sorry you are going through all this pain. {{{{{ gentle hugs }}}}}

My lowe rback pain has been pretty constant for the past 30 years. I have a bulged disc with partial herniation in L3-L4. Praise God there is no sign of arthritis yet as it runs in my family. I CAN'T say I've been terribly successful in pain managment in that area but what I have learned may help.

There are three basic things that I have found to help... chiropractic (with the right doctor!!), strengthening my stomach muscles, and improving my posture both for sitting/standing and for carrying.

I know you've been through this with your doctor before BUT I do know that there are a number of procedures available for facet joint pain at the Pan-Am pain clinic. The pain clinic at the pan-am centre is less of a pain clinic and more of a rehab clinic. Your doctor needs to know that!!! He may be worried that it is a pill push centre.. It ISN'T!!!!

These options weren't available to me as we were focusing on the fibro pain but for osteo pain, they mentioned tens (reduces pressure by relaxing the local muscles), cortisone injections, botox to relax specific muscles for longer periods, epidurals, rhizotomy to stop the nerve ending from receiving pain signals, etc.

I know most of these seem pretty radical and they do carry some risks BUT they do offer the hope of reduced pain. Talk it over with your doc and stress the level of pain you are experiencing and how it is affecting your life on an hour by hour basis.

The other thing is to get back in the pool. Regardless of anything else you do, releiving the pressure of gravity on your spine will help the muscles to relax and reduce the local pain at least for a short while.

I'll be praying for you sis. I hate that this is making it really hard for you to enjoy life. If I could take away your pain I would in a heartbeat. You've got my shoulder sis. Anything you need, you call.

Foxgrove responded:
Darn it!!! I re-read my post and realized that I forgot one of my big therapies that I HAVE gotten relief from. Tai Chi. There is a wonderful centre close to you that has special classes for health recovery. It's the same place I go. Let me know if you want to be introduced to the gang there.

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
bump-a-rooney

GA1953 responded:
Dear Julie Girl,

WHat's next??? We have GOT to get you straightened out..you are much too young for this much pain and discomfort.

Arthritis is getting progressively worse....Mobic Rx isn't doing much good it seems........water therapy does help, as does walking.

Lumbar fusion and laminectomy was 100% successful and would do it again in a heartbeat. Surgery performed by a neurosurgeon. I had to wear a back brace for several weeks and will occasionally get it out of the closet for wearing again if I anticipate doing a lot of lifting or repetitive motion housework. You might try one of those.

Husband has bulging disc, but all suggested therapies (TENS unit, paraformis injection, Neurontin, muscle relaxers, etc) do a number on his weak heart, so he resorts to long hot soaks in the tub and fights me for the heating pad.

Wish I knew of some encouraging words for you,

Audrey

Meme0221 responded:
Julie~

I wish I had something of encouragement to tell you...I simply don't. Maybe soaking in the hot bath, as it is only temporary. I just want to send you hugs & wishing you well soon...

Soft Hugs, MeMe

TN_Mom responded:
Julie,

As you know I have extensive knowledge on back pain that has to deal with disc problems.

It took me almost a year to get on meds that actually helped. I had to keep changing dr's until someone listened to me.

Also I made sure I went to the Dr looking like hell. The worse you look the more in agony you look.

Then the next thing is making sure you tell them you are i so much pain that you can't sleep and that it is causing problems with you being able to walk because of the pain. Cry if you can... it does help....

Loratab 7.5 or 10 will help you alot .... but don't expect to be put on something like that to start. They will start you out on something small and probably not a controlled substance.

But you have to complain if the meds they give you aren't working.... call the nurse crying if you have to.... if after a few day of the new med and it is not working...

You also might need a muscle relaxant... know it helped me some with my back and well my Fibro too...

All I can say is keep complaining....exagerate the pain some if you have to in order to get the meds you need. ....

Neurologist is the spine dr. that you need for your back. Have your reg Dr refer you to one as soon as he can. Then once you see the Nero Dr ask him to have an MRI done on your back... it shows the damage better....

Hope this helps you some....

Wish you luck let me know what your Dr says

Mel

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.