Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hands Smell Like Garlic
SparkiR posted:
I have a question for anyone out there with Fibroyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My hands started smelling like Garlic even though I have not eaten, taken, or dealt with garlic for some time. I have heard of one other person with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome experiencing this, but was wondering about people with Fibromyalgia. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia now for about 2 years. Can anyone help? The smell makes me VERY nauseated and I am getting really frustrated.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

fibropain1 responded:
Hi, I am so sorry, but I do not know. Maybe someone on the board knows.

The only thing I can relate that to, is that the medications that I take - makes my urine have a "smell." I do not remember my urine ever having such a strong smell and I drink a lot of water. It is not the vitamins I take.

I know that this must be something from within or I would suggest lemon juice to rub on your hands. It sounds like it is coming from your pours.

I am sure someone here can help more - sorry

Ann

Meme0221 responded:
Hmmm?? Sorry, but I am no help here. I do know that sometimes certain medications can cause your body to put out certain body odors, such as garlic & sweet smells... That's about all I know, since you have not eaten or taken any garlic supplements....

Someone else may have other answers...

~MeMe

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome......MiMi in NC.....I would not have a clue about this either....but I am wondering....can other people smell this also....perhaps you sense of smell has changed or something....I would think that if it is indeed this strong....that something is causing it....I would definitely check with the doctor about this.....I do know that sometimes water in the icemaker starts to smell funny.....and I can not remember what someone told me to do to it....but they did say it was a chemical change.....this has happened just a couple of times....

I hope you figure this out....and please let us know once you do.....we always manage to find out some very strange yet interesting things ......the computer is such a valuable tool sometimes....

Take care.

MiMi

flash911 responded:
am experiencing the same thing with my hands smelling like garlic and i haven't eaten any garlic. i am also not on any medicine and i have not be diagnoised with anything. It also makes me nauseated and frustrated. if you hear anything please let me know.

Tuned2fm responded:
Hello, I have heard that you can rub your hands on a stainless steel sink. I know it sounds crazy, but I have heard it works. There are even bars of stainless steel shaped like a bar of soap you can buy. But the sink is free if you have one.

Also try eating a parsley sprig with your meal. That is supposed to work. You should eat it every day until you gets results.

Good Luck,

Sheila

Grampa_Bear responded:
If you rub your hands with stainless steel (like a ball, or some other item that won't cut you), that takes the smell of garlic off your hands....this works if you've handled garlic, but not sure in this case....but it's worth a try...won't be any farther behind.

Let me know if it works

scQue814 responded:
I have been having similar issue on and off for the past few days, where my hands smell like rotten onions, garlic and/or sulphur. It has now happened both at home and at work on different occasions. This has also happened to me before--many months ago, but within the past year.

The only biological connection I can think of is that I've developed a gluten intolerance in the past year. I've also been experiencing other allergic reactions to "some things" in my diet--possibly a histamine reaction--to things such as wine, sake, brandy, sometimes gin and whiskey. The possible histamine reaction seems to produce rash around my eyes and seems to mostly appear in conjunction with a gluten reaction. Additionally, there've been several times in the past year that I've had a random allergic reaction to Mitchum unscented anti-perspirant, which causes a sticky feeling under my arts, extremely bad body odor and prominent white "bleaching" stains on my black t-shirts. I only mention these in case some reader thinks they may be interconnected.

Regarding today's "sulphur" incident... I have eaten onions within the past few days, but it doesn't really follow that the smell would come out of only my hands, esp. considering that I'd just taken a shower at home (unscented soap) before going to work... and that I was noticing it immediately after filling the sinks behind the bar. I asked a coworker to go submerge their hands in all three sinks to see if they noticed a similar smell, but they didn't.

The reason I decided to post was because of the mention of fibromyalgia in a previous post. Coeliac disease is often mis-diagnosed as fibromyalgia. I have not yet been diagnosed with Coeliac, but my own elimination diet over the past year has pointed quite firmly to gluten intolerance, with a secondary intolerance to the items mentioned above.

tavstar1 responded:
have had that before, off and on. i have noticed it myslef, and i hadn't dealt w/ anything that would casue that to heppen either.... it must be something in relation to meds or chemicals in our bodies. I noticed at the same time that was going on, I also was very sensitive to other odors and smells. strange huh? if you find out what it is, please let me know, i am curious myself.

sluggozmom responded:
This happened to me... for the last 2 days my right hand smells like an italian submarine sandwich! Just my right hand..not up my arm and no where else on my body. I can't make it go away! I am wondering if it's just old age happening... I just hit 49 ...Wondering if anyone has figured this out?

Grampa_Bear responded:
If your hands smell like garlic....rub them on some Stainless Steel....that will absorb the odor...SERIOUSLY!!

OohexagonsunoO responded:
hi, this is crazy. i'm so glad i found something about it, although there don't seem to be any answers.

just got to work and noticed my hands smell like garlic. i passed it off as my imagination at first but no, definitely garlic and only on my hands. i know i should ask a coworker to smell my hands to make sure it's not just me, but i'm way too embarrassed.

definitely haven't eaten or handled garlic recently. i took a shower this morning. since bathing i've put my contacts in, put mousse in my hair, eaten a bowl of cereal and driven to work. that's it. i am 28 and have no medical conditions. i'm on no medication.

the only slightly out of the ordinary things i can think of are that i forgot to take my multi vitamin today and i had some abnormally strenuous activity last night (indoor climbing).

what's going on??

Grampa_Bear responded:
To remove the smell of garlic from your hands, rub them with stainless steel (seriously). The only time my hands have smelled like garlic is when I'm cooking with it...so in that instance it works great.

Good Luck,

bonwil replied to scQue814's response:
Hi! I have had garlic fingers on and off for some time now. I was interested to hear that you think you have gluten intolerance/Celiac Disease. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 years ago. I have also had symptoms of fibromyalgia of which is linked to CD. It is interesting that these things may be linked. I would review information about CD and see if anything else sounds familiar and go to the doctor if so. You would be surprised at everything involved. I am 24/F and it has turned my world upside down with complications.

icyhotmama replied to Grampa_Bear's response:
Sometimes lemon juice works too! if not rub with stainless steel! It works!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.