Skip to content
Lyme vs. Fibro
Mesti posted:
Can anyone point me to a good article, discussion, or other information that can really help me differentiate my fibro vs. Lyme symptoms? I am trying to figure out if and when I can stop taking antibiotics for my Lyme. Also have vitamin D deficiency to further confuse symptoms. Welcome your thoughts and resources. Mesti

trishden responded:
Hi Mesti, IMHO they are one in the same. I was told I have Lyme, CFS and Fibromyalgia......triggered by the Lyme. I think if you can lick the Lyme the Fibro will go away. Interesting that Fibro never even existed 15 years ago when I had my first bout of Lyme. I think it's a catch all term invented by infectious disease doctors (the worst) to help big farma sell drugs. Cynical I know, but I've done a lot of research on the subject and there is a concensus that Fibro is bacterial or viral in origin. Trish

annette030 responded:
I disagree. FMS has been mentioned in the medical literature for well over 15 years. I was diagnosed that long ago, and the rheumys had diagnostic criteria in about 1990 I think. It has always "belonged" to the rheumatologists, even though now we know it is not a rheumatological illness. There are blood tests for Lyme Disease, but not for FMS. Certainly one can have more than one disease at a time. But, I only have the FMS, I don't have the symptoms of CFIDS or Lyme. I never catch anything infectious, I have had two colds in 20 years, and never get the flu or anything like that. My immune system is top notch. I believe the doctors that say FMS is a neurological dysfunction. You might try reading at www.myalgia.com. Dr. Robert Bennett, MD a well known FMS researcher posts articles there that are very interesting. Take care, Annette

mamawrobyn responded:
Wow! Annette according to Trish all we have to do is take an anti-viral or anti-bacterial and fibro will be gone! I just wish my Doctor told me that! :pbpt:

annette030 responded:
Unfortunately, there are many different points of view about the origins and treatments of FMS. I hope with more research we will have more answers. I can easily remember the days when we did not have any anti-viral meds at all. The ones we have now do not work on all viruses, so many viral illnesses are left for our bodies to conquer. I just do not agree with the research to date that leans towards a viral or infectious causation for FMS. I may end up wrong when all the research is completed. For now, I still think it is a neurological problem. Take care, Annette

Grapedy responded:
I'm with Annette. The most promising research is coming on the neurological front. We've long known that FMers have a brain that doesn't interpret pain signals correctly, so it's a logical conclusion that most of it is neurological in origin. That explains why anti-depressants and Lyrica work for so many of us. If it was viral or bacterial those drug classes would not give us any benefit. I don't have Lyme. Grew up in an area that doesn't have a large population of deer ticks and Lyme disease is quite rare in Louisiana. I haven't been bitten by a tick in nearly 20 years.

Tuned2fm responded:
Hi, I am with Annette and Rachel, the research is leaning more towards a neurological problem with our pain receptors. I wish it was a virus, that could possibly be cured and more research would be done. Interesting topic though. Sheila

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.