Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cold Intolerance
TCL38 posted:
How are you guys coping with cold?

I live in a snowy climate and my hypothyroid has always made me cold intolerant but this is cold intolerance on steroids...lol. If it's just plain cold outside I can deal with it but the slightest breeze and I'm done for.

It's not just the weather either, sometimes it's bad enough that I can't even hold a glass, glass with cold liquid in it. If I'm really having a bad day plastic isn't much better. I've found mugs and stemware are my new friends.

My furnace is set to 75 degrees and most of the time I'm wrapped in a blanket or have a portable heater blowing on me.

As soon as my baby graduates from high school I'm leaving the snow....Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego, Hell, I don't care But I know I can't live the rest of my days in this weather.

Tanya
FirstPrevious12NextLast

stephaniebloyd responded:
I have noticed that too. I am from the midwest and when it drops down to below 25 to 30 degrees I can feel it at my core. My pain not only gets worse, but a simple thing such as running out to the car with bare hands send shooting pains up my arms. Walking across a cold kitchen tile floor also cause my legs to ache. The funniest thing is that I really don't like making meatloaf anymore, because it hurts my hands too much (mixing the cold meat by hand).

TCL38 responded:
OMGOSH....me too to all of it.

I'm a graduate student and writer so I am always typing. I've found myself taking crazy precautions to make sure my fingers don't get too cold when I have to go out otherwise sometimes it's hours before they feel better.

I have tile too but mine's also in the bathroom! It kills first thing in the morning. I have finally wised up and strategically placed rugs on the bathroom floor so my feet don't touch.

The meatloaf thing....not funny at all. I made meatloaf last week and brought the eggs to room temperature and the meat to out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before I touched it. My son begged for the meatloaf or I wouldn't have done it at all.

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!! Best Christmas gift ever!!!!!

Tanya

pocotaz responded:
Hi Tanya,

Heat --cold--humidity will al make the FM worse. As for the making of meatloaf and having it hurt your hands--try using a hand mixer to mix things together. It will save your hands fro hurting--i used to have the hot water ready to put my hands into it while mixing because a few seconds with my hands in the meat was excrusiating.

So if you fnd that your hand hurt with this--try to find other ways to do these things or come here and ask what others do. I love this board to Tanya--glad you found us.

I stumbled upon them in June and i have never looked back. What a group it is. Glad you made it here. I don't blame you for wanting to move either--wish i could some times--but i want that DRY hea climate.

Hugs.................Linda

Yayabay06 responded:
OH YEAH!!! I left FL 8 years ago to come back to the north and it is KILLING me!!! I have never been so affected by cold. I have that Raynaud's where your fingers and toes look dead when they get cold and hurt terrribly. So not fun!!!

Good luck

Grampa_Bear responded:
Hi Tanya,

We ought to start a club. My thyroid is ok, I'm just cold all the time...used to be the other way around. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that I'm older than dirt - NAH!

We use flannel sheets on the bed (and I use flannel pillow cases too). Of course, they say that you loose all your heat through the head, so maybe if I had some covering there, it might help too. Oh well, I just live with it. Most folks who know me say that I'll have all the heat I need in the afterlife

fibroinsd responded:
Ah shoot !!! I am in San Diego...and here I am complaining about cold feet and hands...guess I need to go put on socks and a sweater...but yea...even in San Diego you can get cold feet and hands !! I am sure those in snowy areas are NOT feeling sorry for me !!

Hope you can make it out here one day !

cece

TCL38 responded:
Hi Linda.

Thanks for the welcome.

I did have the warm water running while I was mixing. My son tried to turn it off but then I explained why I had it running. Poor little guy, he apologized for begging for meatloaf. Awww sweet and sad all at the same time. Pain aside I don't like touching meatloaf mix even though I make great meatloaf so I tried the mixer once a long time ago and didn't like it. I don't make it very often so I'll either just deal with it or teach him how to mix it

I'll be interested to see how different my pain and pain management is during the summer. My onset was at the end of the real hot heat here. Yep that's right....I get both. I live in a high desert in the west....107 and dry in the summer, -10 (at the worst) and snowy in the winter. So far the cold doesn't bother me as much as cold mixed with wind. And I just hate snow. It was amusing the first dozen or so times I saw it (been here 20 years now) but this California girl's gotta go

LOL.

Tanya

TCL38 responded:
Nice to meet you YaYa.

Tanya

TCL38 responded:
Hi Jim.

Heat in the afterlife....LOL....I now joke that I am going to do everything I can to get to hell (which is really funny because I'm a religious person).

Thanks for the giggle!

Tanya

TCL38 responded:
LOL...Cece

I have a weather app on my phone and I've programmed all the places I think I might like to live after my son graduates and I check it daily. San Diego is on my list. I'm from Stockton/Manteca originally (20 years ago) but wouldn't move back to that fog for all the drugs in the world. According to my phone right now it's a wonderful 64 degrees in San Diego and here it's only 24. If I'm still going to be cold anyway I'd rather be cold in 64 degree weather It's all going to depend on which doctoral or law school program I get into. But UCSD sounds mighty fine to me

Tanya

fibroinsd responded:
If you want an awesome law school...try USD ...University of San Diego. My cousins's daughter just graduated from there. I do believe that she had a full ride scholarship for the three years. It is such a beautiful campus. It is expensive...but if you can get scholarships...it is a good deal.

Also there is the Jefferson School of Law...that I have heard isn't fancy, but does a good job.

Yes, cold in San Diego is not a bad deal !!

cece

FIBRO_IN_IOWA responded:
Hello Tanya,

I am 39 and just diagnosed with Fibro after years of pain and doctors not really knowing what was wrong with me. Frustrating to say the least!!

It is now January and I'm freezing and in pain all the time, My back stiffens up, my arms hurt, my chest tightens up and is unbearable!! I am now on Lyrica and it has helped ease my pain and allowed me a couple nights of sleep longer than 2 hours. (It does have side effects but at this time I can live with feeling like I have a permanent buzz.) However the cold is intolerable, This coming from a man who has lived and breathed hunting, fishing and all the outdoor sports for the last 32 years, I haven't even looked at my equipment or stepped into the woods once this year..)= My pain and dizziness have made sure I'm pretty much inside where it's warm.

My wife is the one having a harder time dealing with my diagnosis because she along with other people in my life see the outside appearance and they all say the same thing, "You look good" even though I'm dying inside. (not literally) That's the same problem I've had with General Physicians continuously throwing anti-depressants at me and telling me the pain is in my head. So 10 years and about 12 different doctors later I finally have a treatment plan starting to form. but ANY input is greatly appreciated.

Since I FINALLY know what I have, and I realize this is predominately a disease that afflicts women does anyone have any tips for me? I know all too well that two of my biggest enemies now are cold and stress. Any men out there have any luck with sauna's or hot tubs for pain relief? I am actually researching Arizona for livability to get the heck out of this Sub-Zero weather. I am also wondering if anyone has had to apply for disability because of Fibro? My job is physically demanding and in all kinds of inclement weather and I'm not sure how long I'll be allowed to sit inside and run the computers in operations/reservations?? I just need guidance in this new uncharted chapter of my hard knock life.

Before I go, a little background, I work for Delta airlines, My wife of 17 years is an Elementary Teacher who was let go along with 7 other teachers because of budget cuts. We have 4 children and I can't even go sledding with them anymore because I'm afraid of the pain and cramping after I've been out in the cold.. )= I was born and raised in Iowa and worked hard all my life, now I just have to deal with the fact that I need to pull back the reins and learn how to live with my condition.

Thank You for lending an ear. (I guess it would be an eye?) LOL

Tony Fibro Sufferer.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Tony......and welcome.......MiMi in NC......I just wanted to reply to you about FM affecting women more.......I think that there are a lot of men that also have FM....but for whatever reason....they do not acknowledge it like we women do.....perhaps a macho thing....I do not know....we do have several men on this support board.....and I think probably a lot more just lurking.....

I also want to tell you that there are several of us FMers who have applied for disability and are now drawing it.....I am one of those....it took me a very long time before I was able to get it....but that is how our system works....they want to deny and discourage you from trying to get it....although it is a benefit that we all pay for....if we work....but they want to put our benefit money to others things....like people who get big salaries anyway and need those huge bonuses as extra benefit.....our system is so very broken.....but that is another story.....

Anyway.....I hope you will not be discouraged about having to perhaps one day apply for disability....

I am so glad that you have found this group though and have decided to come forward....this is a very unique group of people here.....a lot of variety.....and a lot of good tools and tips that you might try....of course....we are all so different and what works for one may or may not work for another....but again....only you will know what helps you.....I am so sure that there is something out there that will also help you learn to live better with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....

Take care and good luck.....I hope you will chime in again and often.....

MiMi

imouse responded:
Hi, I am originally from the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles While living there I was keeping the FM symptoms at bay.. we moved to Middle Tennessee 16, almost 17 years ago and the FM symptoms have been a lot worse and consistently bad in the Fall and Winter months. I dread October as I know the medications for the symptoms will be a Must Take or I will be so ill. I feel the cold in every bone, the muscles burn and ache so bad.. but come April I start to feel well again. The depression lifts, the body isn't so tired and I can walk without much pain. I also don't have to see my Rheumy again until Oct right before I begin to feel ill. Cold I hate the cold, I hate winter! Right now its 16 degrees out side, a few flakes are floating down and I have to go out into it in a little while.. so not looking forward to that.. as I will aches for hours after coming back in. So the answer to your question is YES the cold bothers me and makes my FM symptoms a whole lot worse than I'd have them in say Los Angeles about now.. I want to relocate back to the west coast from October to March, and for the rest of the year live here. Linda R

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.