Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rib pain
BamaNik posted:
this new layout is going to take a while to get used to.... :P

So, I have had this pain before but I was wondering if it is a common pain for us...... I have had pain in my ribs, only when touched though, and its at the bottom of my rib cage. The other day I had pain in the ribs closest to the sternum and it hurt as well. Later that night I noticed that it hurt to breathe in deep, not a sharp pain, but kinda like it was sore....isnt this called something? It comes and goes....so strange...

Nicole

ceobrien5 responded:
It may be costo-chondritis. An inflammation of the lining around the lungs. Only your doc could really diagnose. I had similar pain a couple of years ago, and my doc couldn't find a cause on exam or by xray, so I had a nuclear bone scan which showed 4 healing rib fractures. Still have no idea how or when they happened.
Ibuprofen might help your pain no matter the cause.
Good Health.

Socialwrkr responded:
Hi Nicole,

Ceobrian is right, it could be costo chondritis, which is actually an imflammation of the cartilege of the ribs. It is often centered around the breast bone.

Heat may help, as well as anti-inflammatories, but as at least one person here will attest, don't rub the area!

jacksgramma responded:
It is unfortunate yet I suffer from this every day. I am allergic to anti-inflammatories so it makes it very difficult for me. I just have to move around a lot and take off my bra first thing.

It also happens a lot while driving. So I'd say "yes" it is a Fibro thing, yet others without Fibro suffer with it too.

~hugs,

Lori

BamaNik replied to Socialwrkr's response:
I was thinking it was costo chondritis.....I have to write this down for my next rheumy visit. It seems like I have something new to discuss every time I go in! If its not one thing its another... :)

Nicole

jamesii replied to BamaNik's response:
Hi Nicole, I was dx'd with that years ago and treated with anti inflamitory meds. Then another dr took those away from me, said I couldn't take them due to possible stomach or bleeding problems. It seems strange, I may hurt by my collarbone for awhile, then it gets very sore at the bottom of my ribs, or in the center of my chest. It moves around almost daily. It is costochronditis. I was told it is the cartilidge in between the ribs that get inflamed. Nothing to be done other than pain meds.

I keep a note book close by, everytime I get a new symptom or pain I write it down. Due to poor memory I would not rely on remembering it when I see my dr.

I have gone in so many times, as have others, that the dr sees me with a piece of paper and always asks if that is my note for that visit.

Oh well, we have to do what we have to do to help ourselves.

Another thing, I sometimes get so sore that I can't wear my seatbelt across my chest. I either find myself driving with one hand and holding the belt away from my chest with the other, or I just put the belt underneat my arm That lowers it down enough that it doesn't contact the sore spots.

Hope you get better.

Jim

GSDgirl replied to jamesii's response:
Hi, I also get pains that move around. Last night it was the ribs, hip and I gorget what else LOL. I guess I will write that down also for my Dr appt next week.

Denise

l3renda replied to GSDgirl's response:
Hi. I have had Fibro for many years. I have had to get off of my NSAIDS because of having a Colonoscopy and now going to have a toe operation. The pain in my chest and ribs have been horrible for the past week yet I can't can't take the NSAIDS yet. I am also allergic to many antibodics and pain medications. I am a mess haha! I just found this link yesterday and already I have found a name for that chest/rib pain from several of you--Costochondral Junction. Thanks so much.

Would you believe that it is called a "rare" syndrome? I wonder how many people are like me, suffer from it for years off and on but have never told my doctor--I've just figured it came with Fibro and accepted it.

Hopefully after my toe operation this coming Wednesday, I'll be able to get back on an NSAID that will help with all my Fibro pain.

Best wishes to all of you and thanks.

alispazz replied to l3renda's response:
Hi Nicole,

Had costo several years ago and ended up with shingles, still hung in after shingle.. so I had to have shots in the cartilege, in the ribs...OMG

Any how watch your self, if gets to severe get to pain or ruehmy quick.. you really don't want shingles

Ali

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.