Skip to content
Rubber Arm - Numbness in Arms While Sleeping
MorganJean posted:
Hello, I posted this originally on another exchange. It was sugested by a member, that I come to this exchange, so I am reposting my discussion topic for any additional comments, thanks!

Rubber Band Arm - Numbess in Arm(s) While Sleeping MorganJean posted: Hello - New member here.

I am 29 years old, female, moderately active, 85% vegitarian and very conscienceous about prosessed foods. I take a well rounded multivitaman, practice Bikram yoga, cycle regularly among other activities weekly.

For the past 4 months I have been dealing with a chronic numbness in both my arms while sleeping. On more than one occasion, I've been awakened with a completely numb (rubber) arm(s). I litterally have to use my good arm to rub the rubber arm until it comes back to life.
This happens just about every two nights and disrupts my sleep. Anytime I sleep on my side or simply have my hands near my chest, above my waist, while sleeping, the arm(s) loses feeling. *Note: this does not happen during the day.

The only way I have found to combat this "rubber" arm syndrome is to sleep on my back, with my arms at my side, which doesnt work well becasue I am normally a side sleeper. I would really just like to sleep one whole night all the way through without disruption.

Over the past 4 months, I've spent about $200 combined trying different pillows to no avail.
I do sit at a computer for most of my work day and it was sugessted that I look into Carpel Tunnel.
I've been seeing a Chriopractor for about 2 weeks, I have seen a little improvement so far and am planning on continuing. I am also planning on getting some blood tests done to check my Trygliserides and Vitamin D levels. I must mention that I am not a fan of medications. I prefer a more homeopathic or active approach but am open to advice and recomendations in other areas. One thing I have been taking regularly is Cayenne Pepper in capsul form, in hopes of increasing cirulation.

I would love some additional imput or opinions on this subject and appricate any feedback. Thanks for reading.
-Morgan
FirstPrevious12NextLast

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
I get numb hands...Doc figures it's a pinched nerve in the spine so is sending me for an MRI. I also have no reflexes in my right arm. He taps it and its like its dead!

dollbug responded:
Hello Morgan.....and welcome.....MiMi in NC....back at the end of 2003....I started having problems with my right hand...and then it affected my entire arm....waking me up at night also with extreme pain.....and very heavy feeling....almost like I had slept on it and caused it to go to sleep also.....I had a dog who woke me up when he needed to go out...and I was not even able to pick him up....due to this pain in my arm....

My problem was carpal tunnel....and I went to physical therapy, took medicines and it continued to get worse....I was finally sent to get an EMG and it was determined that I had carpal tunnel in it....

I had my first carpal tunnel in July 2004.....which helped the nighttime pain....but I continued to have hand and wrist pain...

So....to make a long story short....I would look into this possibly being carpal tunnel...I have had 6 surgeries on my hands....(3 on each hand) and I am still having some issues but it is mainly with the left hand now...

I will tell you something that you might try....wrist braces when you sleep....this might help you...if indeed this is carpal tunnel....

I would indeed encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so very important....a simple blood test....

I have learned how to "control" my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements....so you might also say that I am not a fan of medications either....they all seem to cause a lot of side effects for me....

I also sat all day for over 14 years...and did a whole lot of computer work....I applied for worker's comp....and my right hand was approved....when I also applied for the left hand...I was denied and then laid off....I am still in the process of appealing the denial....the company I worked for has since closed....but they have paid attorneys to fight me on this for all these years....

I hope you will post often here, ask questions, make comments or suggestions....

I hope this might help you....take care and good luck...

MiMi

fibroinsd responded:
I don't think this is necessarily a fibro problem...but like Julie says..sounds like a pinch something...I would call a doctor and have it checked out.

Glad you came here....even if I can't be of more help. The thing is, if it was all the time, awake and asleep...well, that would probably be one thing...but since it is more of a certain time/ position, seems like you are cutting off the blood to your arm or something..I am not a medical person...maybe one of the nurse types will stop by with more of an idea.

Hope you get some help.

cece

Socialwrkr responded:
I deal with this too, in fact, just woke up from a nap with both arms numb and unable to move. I don't know why this happens, I haven't even thought to mention it to my doc.

Mine will be very cold, especially my hands, and then numb. After a few minutes, it usually goes away. I have had recent MRI's with no indications of anything pinched and I don't have carpal tunnel.

Sorry I don't have answers, but thought I'd pitch in. Take care!

Aimee

MagPrincess replied to Socialwrkr's response:
I get this as well all the time. well actually not so much as i used to.

I did start seeing a chiropractor which does help but its not quick.

I also found out i had two bulging discs in my cervical spine that are hiting the neural sac.

Before I found out about that though I was dealing with it almost nightly. with either one arm or the other or if i even tried to rest my elbow on the window in the car i could cause that to happen.

Another supplement you can try and it won't be instantaneous either is CO enzyme Q 10. This was recommended to me by my rheumy for the fibro fog (lack of mental clarity) but from my research it also helps increase circulation.

However if it is a pinched nerve this won't help much until you get on something for inflamation.

You can try boswellia for the inflamation though. I found it particularly helpful in this area.

Socialwrkr replied to MagPrincess's response:
Hey, did you know boswellia is either frankencense or myrrh (I can't remember which...lol) as in one of the gifts to the Christ Child? Isn't that interesting? Or is it just me?? LOL!

I found that out when doing my aromatherapy research and just thought it was pretty cool.

Okay so many ways to take that. I have to batten down the sarcastic side of me and say that is actually very interesting. I did not know that and if i did I forgot it! lol

Ok, so the next part is, both were used to embalm dead people!! And considered to be worth more than their weight in gold!

Wow okay so ......no bad Erin bad Erin.

LOL! I knew you'd get a kick out of that!

squarley responded:
I had some thing very much like that happen to me ,was waking up with whole arm numb or hand, one night I called 911 I thought I was having a stroke. They never did tell me what it was ,but I now sleep like you said on my back with my arms at my side, I know its hard but I am now used to it and it works. I have FM for ten years ,do not know of it is related. Hope this helps.

Tuned2fm responded:
Hi Morgan,

I have this also, usually when I am naping on a sofa or recliner. I get into a postion where I am putting pressure on it. I have on a few occasions had it happen when in bed.

I never worried about it but I seem to have a harder and longer time to get the arm or hand to "wake up". I just figured it was age.

Sheila

christinam4 responded:
Hi Morgan,

I also have this problem. I love sleeping on my sides and toss and turn all night due to back pain. Every night I wake in the middle of the night with which ever side I am laying on, that arm and hand will be asleep. Then I roll over and awake again with the other side doing the same thing. This also is new to me, I have not thought about speaking with the Dr about it either. I do know, I have recently been diagnosed with spine fractures and arthritis in my back and neck and shoulders and hips. I have had scoliosis since I was a child as well.

Keep us informed, I would love if you find an answer, and if it is serious enough to be brought to the Dr attention. I have always just blown it off, chalked it up to all the other stuff I have going on. I sure hope you can get an answer.

Thank you
Christina

TMK290 responded:
Hi,
I have the exact same thing with my Fibromyalgia. It's all pain 24/7, BUT also, when I lay down to sleep I fight numb arms (sleeping on my side), numb hands (if they aren't down by my side), and numb legs (if they aren't straight). It certainly doesn't help the sleep problems we have, either.

I think over the years I've had every medical test that has been invented. There's slight disc "this" - and slight disc buldge "that" but all things have always pointed to Fibromyalgia. I don't know why I keep fighting the diagnosis when I could be a poster child for every symptom and every trigger point !!! Ha. I think I'm just going to come to terms with it.

Good luck. I hope you find your anwers.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.