Skip to content
Anyone have one side of body worse than the other?
TMK290 posted:
Hi everyone,
I have a question for anyone who would be willing to share. One of the reasons that my PCP took so long with my Fibromyalgia diagnosis is that my symptoms are worse on my left side of my body. He still isn't sold 100% with FM, but has been treating me for it for about 3 years, and all symptoms fit. Trigger point pain is equal on both sides.

My left side has more mobility problems, and the muscles are always rigid on my left side of body.
Of course, I underwent many Neuro tests to rule out MS, and other brain diseases, and have PT.

Does anyone else have more symptoms on one side?
It's always makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.

Thank you so much for any responses.
Hope everyone has less pain in their day tomorrow.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Socialwrkr responded:
There are times when I feel that if you cut me right down the middle, my left side would be fine and my right needs to be put in the trash. Every joint, every inch of my spine, every muscle on the right side may ache and hurt and my left will be fine.

And then some days, it switches. But 99% of the time, my right side has significantly worse pain than the left.

Another weird tidbit was I had severe blood clots in my left leg and never had a pain. It should have been very painful as the clot was from ankle to mid abdomen, but nope. But my right calf hurt like mad during that time.

I'm glad your doc really looked into this to be sure, that's good. But I do think some have more prevalent symptoms on one side or the other.

Take care

Aimee

alispazz responded:
TMK

Mine is also on the left side primarily, the right side get some stiffness because of the way I hold my body, but I started on the left and the most of my weakness is left side.

When I was working I used my right side only to do my work.. After 150 pt appointments I still only had 68% use of my left side and 87% on the right.

When I get trigger Point shots I get them in both sides, though I get 2 to 1 on the left side.

I also have chronic pain above my elbow, halfway to my shoulder and have had for 6 years, nothing shows on test but it is there and My Dr believes me and we have tried everything to make it go away.

Hope that helps

With this syndrome you are never alone

Hugs

Ali

CLKWC1964 responded:
My pain is worse on the right side than the left most of the time. My right arm hurts almost daily. I cannot sleep on my right side. I have muscle spasms in my right leg a lot. There are times when my pain level is high and I find it difficult to tell where it is the worst but generally speaking I would have to say my right side. The funny thing is 10 years ago when I was first diagnosed it was on the left side primarily. I am not sure what happened to change it but it is what it is. Cat :0)

Tuned2fm responded:
Hi. My pain is pretty much equal on both sides, but I have more numbness on my right side. The limbs seem to "fall asleep" easier and more often. I also swell more on my right side.

Now on my shoulder blades the right one will hurt more if I have been using that hand in repetative motion. Along with the pain, I have a burning sensation as if I had done a major workout.

But aside from that my hips, thighs, knees, ankles and feet seem to be competing to see which can hurt the most and right now it is a dead heat. LOL.

Sheila

booch007 responded:
Good Morning,

I too am like that. I am right dominant and the neurologist that I see stated that I began splinting the right side and did other chores with my left to help. Not realizing it. The muscles on the left are not a developed and get more festered.

She said like shopping and then opening the car door....I put the bags to the left for a bit. The muscles on the left get into a spastic state and stay there as taut bands until I get my injections. My right gets better as I stretch and use them more.

My numbness is greater on my right.....but with a project...both hands will be numb from entrapment of nerves until they release. Or I work on them to release.

It is some disease this problem we have...........I think with all the reading and watching and trying to be better, we have all earned honorary PhD's...........

Well, you are not alone....I'm there too. Try and watch what you are doing (even unconsciously) There will be the trigger that begins it. In the beginning I thought I had a brain tumor....so did the neuro I was seeing !!!

Good luck, Nancy B

ednaroberts1978 responded:
Well I'm kind of weird this way, because it seems like above the waist my left side always hurts worse, and below the waist my right leg is the one that usually spasms and has the worst of the pain. There are some days depending on what I've done, that only one side has pain, and then there are others where both sides hurt equally.

When I was first diagnosed it was because I kept going to the ER with pain in my chest and left arm and of course my jaw. I also have costochondritis which is inflammation of the rib cage cartiladge.

BamaNik responded:
I think this is so interesting that so many of us have more problems on one side verses the other.....really makes you think what is causing our pain and where FM comes from...

I think that would be a good study

Oh and my left side causes me more pain than my right, but tender point pain is the same on both sides

Nicole

doocrafts responded:
hi
yes! my left arm and hand have neuropathy, but the right hasn't been hit yet
both my feet, legs have it
i'm left handed, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
hope you have a good day!

rhonda8789 responded:
my right side started in 2009. Actually my right shoulder is how my pain started. Orthopedic Dr can't find anything in it but a little bursitis. Now i have the pain all over, in the familiar areas like Fibro. Does Lyrica work for you?

lrs23 responded:
Hello. I have been experiencing chronic burning pain on my whole left side. It takes my breath away at times. I have been diagnosed with tendonitis, and possible sacroilitis. Shots didn't work at all. My shoulder pain is new. Burning sensations go down to my hand. My whole left arm and leg are always swollen. MRI said everything was ok, and I did PT. They only did electro stim therapy which irritated my nerve pain. I quit going, but am thinking about going back. Did PT ever help you? If so, what did they do with you? I'm scared and worried I will never find help....I always thought fibromyalgia had to be on both sides, so I will bring this up at my next doctor's appointment.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lrs23's response:
Hi lrs and welcome here,

I hope they also checked your heart and kidneys, etc., while they were looking at everything else. And yes, definitely bring this up with your doctor. If all of this left0sided pain is new and/or worsening, see your doctor sooner rather than later.

You happen to be posting on a discussion that was begun over two years ago and I encourage you to start a new discussion to say hello to the community and get their support.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

newgrandma1953 responded:
Hi,
Yes I have more pain on my left side, always did. I too was ruled out from MS and other brain diseases 3 years ago, trigger pain equal too! Your not alone and that is not unusual. FM is a puzzling disease and there is nothing about it that is usual or the norm. I was seen at Brigham and Womans hospital who concurred with the FM diagnosis.

Your never alone.
God bless you,
Carol

MMM42 replied to newgrandma1953's response:
I've been treated for Fibro 2 years now & seen Rhermatologist since '06. He first thought Rheumatiod (tested positive twice) but no visible redness showing inflamation had presented. Had Carple Tunnel Release on both wrists & Proximal Row Carpectomy left-diagnosed as Kienbocks" (three tiny wrist bones removed) hand surgeon said they were "dead" & quite " chalky". Also had Trigger Thumb release on right hand. Hands/wrists both still hurt all the time but not always equally. Last Jan left knee collapsed mid-gait (didn't fall-hugged a drink vending machine @ retail entrance - then hopped outside & held on to a column while hubby drove up to me. Went straight to Orthopedic Surgeon with intense sciatica down to left foot. Dr thought a chip of torn menescus broke off & got trapped on a nerve. Did Orthoscopic surgery & I'm still having some sciatica. He's ruled out everything else & aspriated quite a lot of fluid. He says if I'm not better @ next appt he'll send me to a Neurologist for likely damaged nerve.
The skin on both feet/ankles/calves feel like they're on fire every night - yet when sholders hurt usually one is worse than the other.
Essense to me is you may have Fibro & additionally other conditions or injuries which complicate understanding the inconsistancy in whether your pain is bi-lateral. I will be 70 in july. I think the older you get the tougher it is for Drs' to track the causes of pains & discomforts.

jillylin responded:
Hello,
yes, the right side of my body is always worst. Had all the tests for MS, etc but the trigger point pain is equal both sides.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.