Skip to content
Peeling of inner cheek mucosa
A2zim posted:
Hi,
Does anyone with serious dry mouth also have peeling of the inner cheeks? I have been using Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash and gum without much success.

I have had Fibromyalgia since 1988 but this problem only started within the last few months.

A2zim

Tuned2fm responded:
I have the same problem. Sometimes the peeling will turn into a small sore inside the cheeks. I did not associate it with dry mouth.

I drink water and tea to keep my mouth from drying out so much but sometimes nothing works. I have not tried the Biotene toothpaste though.

Honestly I thought the peeling was caused by my teeth rubbing against my cheeks.

If you find a solution please let me know.

Sheila

A2zim replied to Tuned2fm's response:
After talking with my dentist, my primary MD and ENT MD, I was convinced that I was unconsiously biting my cheeks.
I was sucessfull at stopping the habit and my inner cheeks are now fine.

I think constant dry mouth is due to the Fibro or one or more of the meds I take.

Hope this helps you.

crystalgreeneyes responded:
Hello. In my former good life, (before fibro.) I was a registered dental hygienist with experience in the Head and Neck Oncology dept. of a hospital. Many medications have the side effect of causing dry mouth condition also known as xerostomia and in particular, anti-depressants. There are forms of "artificial saliva" that can be used to combat the dryness you are experiencing, and even some prescription options. I advise you to speak to your dentist about this issue because dry mouth conditions can also increase the possibility of tooth decay and gum disease. Caffeine and anything with alcohol is drying so do avoid that and sip water throughout the day if possible. Chewing gum will activate the salivary glands but choose a product with Xylitol. This is a natural sweetener which won't convert into acids in the mouth. *Do keep this away from dogs if you have them*
You can have some sloughing off of the tissue inside the cheeks because of this dryness. Be careful that you are not inadvertently chewing this area as well. Sometimes it becomes a habit and we aren't even aware we are doing it. It can lead to precancerous lesions!
You could also try: Therabreath ZOX mints, Thayer's Sugar Free Citrus Dry mouth Lozenges, Ricochet Gum, Carefree Koolerz by Hershey.
I hope this is helpful. Take care and keep well.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.