Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
WOW!!! a VIRUS associated with CAUSE of FIBROMYALGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WomanInBath posted:
Wait til you guys get a load of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got this page copied at my Dr's today!!! I have not had a chance to look into this virus yet as I wanted to post it as soon as I could so the rest of you could share in my excitement and research!!!
I have typed the entire, small excerpt from the magazine just as it appears.......so you know all that I do.
It reads as follows........
A new study has suggested that an infection may play a role in conditions like CFS and Fibromyalgia.
Reasearchers studied blood sapmles from 101 patients diagnosed with CFS and compared them with 218 people without CFS. A majority of CFS patients, 67 percent, tested positive for the XENOTROPIC MURINE LEUKEMIA VIRUS- RELATED VIRUS or XMRV, compared with just 4 percent of healthy test subjects. What's more, subsequent testing found 95 percent of CFS patients harbored XMRV.
The reseaerchers, from the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno, NV., the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD., and Cleveland Clinic, say they have also found the virus in people with Fibromyagia and myalgic encephalitis and Gulf War Syndrome.
If research is confirmed by other scientists, it may open the door for new drug treatments.
SOURCE: The Oct 23, 2009 issue of "the Journal of Science" as printed in "Your Health Magazine.''

WomanInBath responded:
iM SO EXCITED

alispazz responded:
Woman in bath

We just had a major discussion on this with Dr. P... it was part of our three part question series...just though you might want to read it if you hadn't

Glad to see you post ...been a while

Hope you are doing good

Ali

shoosha responded:
Wow that is exciting news

WomanInBath replied to alispazz's response:
Thank you, Yes!!!
Where do I look for something such as that?

Dollbug replied to WomanInBath's response:
Hello......MiMi in NC....easiest way for me to tell you is to click on Dr. P's discussions and find it there.....he had 3 parts to it.....interesting input from those of us who participated in it....I am sure you, as well as anyone else who did not read it....will find all of the info to be quite interesting....

Take care and I hope this helps...

MiMi

WomanInBath replied to Dollbug's response:
I DID find it!! Thank you.
It was not as helpful as I hoped but maybe he will have information on new treatments soon.

Honestly, I dont have the brain power or energy for metaphores and analogies.

Sure am glad he's here though!!

Socialwrkr responded:
Ok, I hate to be the one to bust the bubble, but......

The XMRV study was ONLY about CFS, however, when being interviewed, a researcher tossed FM into the answer. There is NOT any research yet to connect FM to XMRV.

Then... 3 studies have been done in Europe all saying they can not replicate the WPI study. In other words, they are saying WPI is not accurate in their reporting. And WPI is saying that the studies in Europe were not valid. So, not sure yet, but not looking good.

THEN, while Cleveland Clinic and NCI said they found the virus in people with FM and CFS, they also went on to say it is likely a virus that most people have, just like anyone who has had Mono likely retains the Epstein-Barr virus.

Currently, WPI, who did the intial study, are trying to get patients to pay them $400 to run the test on them. In addition, they are swamping support groups, education centers, etc for donations, with an implication that without donations, no further studies will happen and we'll all just be out of luck.

So.... lots of red flags, way too early to get too excited and sadly, I think we are looking at yet another red herring. If you go way back into the research, XMRV was brought up as a possible cause of lupus and RA and was dismissed, this was about 20 years ago.

mamawrobyn replied to Socialwrkr's response:
SociALwrkr

I love the way you can keep up on the knowlege on Fm, and Im always following what you have to say.

Thanks
Robyn

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.