Skip to content
TOO HOT
chey55 posted:
HI, everyone it is so hot and humid here,it put me into a flare, I was in bed for 3 days. I just can't take this heat, maybe I should move some where cooler. Anyone else have this problem? I don't know what to do!!

Dollbug responded:
Hello Chey.....MiMi in NC...staying in bed for 3 days is the worst thing you could do to yourself....I can not even sleep in a bed any longer......if I tried this....I would be stuck probably forever....could not move even if I wanted to...

Get up and at least do gentle exercises....or stretches....take a cool shower....walk around....I do think that not moving is not good for any of us....rest when you can....but unless you are so sick and can not get up....then please do yourself a favor and move some.....your body will thank you...

Do you take any medicines or vitamins and supplements for FM? I have learned how to "control my pain by taking vitamins and supplements....and I can tell you this much....I can tell BIG time if I miss a dose...

And have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked yet? If not....I encourage you to ASK your doctor to run the test...this is so very important....as low Vitamin D can cause some of us FMers pain just by itself...

I am sorry that you are so hot....but I am not sure that there is any place that would be "perfect" for us FMers....if you find one though....please share this with us all...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

Irmouse responded:
WOW, three days in bed! I couldn't do that. Being able to be up and moving is getting one over on Fibro flares in my book. And I love the heat, it's the cold that is so bad for my Fibro. I hate the cold of Fall and Winter. It's from Nov to March that my flares are bad. So much so that when my husband retires in 3 years I plan to move to Florida or back to California to get away from the winters in the S. East.
And DollyBug is giving you great advice..I hope that you have had your vitamin levels check,Esp, your D, low D plays a big part in your over all wellness picture and pain levels.
I was put on high D doses and the deep leg pain I had had just went any not long after and hasn't been a bother to me since November of last year when I started on the high D regimen.
Also, my I suggest a wonderful morning drink for you that I am sure will get you moving. It is tea with cinnamon and honey. If you have heard of it I hope you are having a cup each day, if not please try a cup and you will be sold. Take one cup of hot water, add a tea bag let it seep, remove it, add 1/4TH teaspoon of cinnamon and then 2 teaspoons of honey. I am sure you make a cup each day after trying it. ;)
I don't have much more to add here, I do hope you start to feel better soon and that you find a way to keep your flares down.
Sending well wishes out to you. ;)
Linda R.

Anjl26 responded:
Ditto what MiMi said... staying in bed is absolutely the worst thing you can do. The longer you stay still, the stiffer the muscles get, the more pain you have, so the longer you remain still. It's a vicious cycle that you have to break.

Take a shower and move to the couch if you must. Walk around your house every hour. Gentle stetching is extremely important to do every day, the more the better.

Heat is usually great for FM, while cold is a killer. As the opposite is true for you, try using cold packs on the worst sites first. If that doesn't help, try a heating pad instead.

Vitamins and supplements can help decrease the pain. It's not a quick fix but it really makes a difference for many. Calcium, vit D, Magnesium and B complex are high on the list.

Do you have access to a pool? Being in the water is great for FM and gives the added bonus of cooling you off.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

jojodance responded:
I had a good day today. My sister made me get out of bed and took me to a mexican restaraunt. Then we came to her house and I got in the pool. OMG! It did wonders for my body. I was able to twist and turn and it just made me so relaxed. One thing I can say with pride. My sister loves and cares about me and understood what I was going through. I feel so grateful and up built. I have stayed in the bed for 3 days before and it seems that I here alot of people use that number. I plan on joining the Y and I will definitatly be using water therapy to help me to deal with the dragon from now on.

jojo

annette030 responded:
Ditto with the others who discourage staying in bed for any amount of time, especially days.

People with FMS need to be up and moving about. Laying in bed just increases the stiffness and pain.

I suggest using fans, dehumidifiers, a/c, whatever, rather than moving. Before you do anything that drastic at least go and stay where you are thinking of moving to for several months during summer and winter.

I have lived in snow and in the desert and in rainy moderate temperatures, other than shoveling snow (bad) I have not noticed any big differences.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.