Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Mark / Facial Numbness
alispazz posted:
Good Morning Kind Sir.

Welcome to the weekend...Hope you don't have many plans outside...I live 300 miles west of you and Its been raining....

Oaky so here is my thing....The right side of my face goes numb from time to time...My neuro says that it is just one more part of FM....and that though it feels weird it really isn't doing any harm....has to do with the nerve that comes from the area of the ear and runs across my cheek, but usually when I have facial numbness...My scalp is so tender to touch I have a hard time even combing my hair, which comes from the greater occipital nerve area. Then to make my whole day even more special I get really nasty headaches in the right temple as soon as the feeling comes back in my face...which radiate to the back of my head...

My question for you is, do you see many patients that have this kind of thing. Is there any suggestions as to something I can do to make the whole mess go away....Especially the head aches, they wear me out....What is the probability that some of this is being caused by the multiple facial surgeries I have had due to facial skin cancer that has always been in the deepest layers of the skin...Last one was all the way through to the last layer .

I have asked the Dr.s I have but they don't seem to have a clue, my neuro tells me it is just something I am going to have to live with, my PCP answer is to give me stronger gabapentin.

Thanks for being here with us...I really enjoy the challenges you give us...but I also appreciate that way you approach your answers...I think that since you live with the dragon, you are hoping right along with us that someone comes up with the magic bullet... Ahhhhh someday!!!!
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL

Hugs
Ali

MagPrincess responded:
Ali

While i am not Dr. P

I do have this on the left side of my face by my eye. NEver noticed if i get a headache from that as most of the time it happens towards the end of the day. I have noticed though that alot of times when it does happen my shoulder blade area is really tight. I lay on a noodle with the noodle right down my spine and put my arms out to the side to get a gentle stretch. It seems to help with the shoulder blade stiffness and eventually the numbness goes away as well.

Socialwrkr replied to MagPrincess's response:
Is that a spaghetti noodle or some other type??

So sorry, it HAD to be said!!!!

Take care and I'm looking forward to Dr. P's answer as I also often have numbness on my face, or occasionally that bee sting feel. And I have had a headache for about 30 years now.....

Take care
Be Gentle on Yourself!!! ~~Aimee

alispazz replied to Socialwrkr's response:
Aimee

I was wondering if it was a wet noodle....Really Erin what is a noodle...Gotta be something she grabbed of the internet...

Just Joking Erin....But please explain
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

MagPrincess replied to alispazz's response:
Pool noodle is those things that float in the pools. Giant worm made out of styrophoam.

DOn't know how to explain it.

Socialwrkr replied to MagPrincess's response:
I love those things. I go down to the deep end and wrap that under my arms and literally just let myself hang. Pretty soon I feel my spine going "pop pop pop" all the way down and ahhhh sweet relief!

Take care!!
Be Gentle on Yourself!!! ~~Aimee

annette030 responded:
I am no doctor, but it sounds from the way you describe it like this facial numbness and pain is an aura for your headache.

I have had similar symptoms with migraines in the past.

Gabapentin was given to me for FMS pain, but it really has helped my migraines too. It took awhile to find the right dose and time of day, but I think it is a drug that is well worth using. I get no side effects at all anymore. They went away after the first few months.

Take care, Annette

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Ali,

Facial numbess is common in FM. Several structures including the head (scalp and brain), neck, TMJ, and facial/jaw muscles all have nerve branches to the face that can lead to pain, numbness, and altered sensations (called dysesthesias).

If the numbness is consistently followed by a migraine, then it is part of the aura, as Annette already noted (you rock Annette!) If it comes and goes in relationship to another area of pain ie TMJ, jaw, neck, then it's probably referred pain/dysesthesia from myospasms or tm joint etc. In this situation, it is usually one-sided aggravated by certain movements such as mouth opening, looking up etc. If it comes spontaneously and feels like shocks or stabs, then it could be more neuralgia-mediated, like trigeminal neuralgia.

Rarely in someone with FM, a different cause such as MS, Bell's palsy, acoustic neuroma, or even a viral infection (cold) can cause face numbess. But these other conditions are usually evident by additional symptoms or a different clinical course that your docs can determine by evaluating you.

I try various treatments on my facially-numb patients including meds that block nerve pain (ie anti-seizure meds, SNRI's, tricyclics) and topicals with helpful meds (patches, compounded cream). Therapies including TNS trail, or injections, or bite splints or other treatments can be tried depending on the individual's cause of numbness.

As usual, I don't have a specific magic bullet for anyone here but I encourage you to work together with your doctor. Let's stamp out facial numbness in this world!

Let me know if this helps, Ali. (my answer, not my corny joke at the end)

Dr. P

septmber15 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
i havenumbest on the side of my head sometimes it is during a headache. I don't have migraines,but I do have FM Ihave all the symptoms of neruopathy,RA,Sjogrens but test say I don't. Dr. say I have them then go to Nero and he says no. I have had several things that haven't shown on tests but have. Like I have 6 kids and preg test said I wasnt but Dr. did Vaginal test and said I was . I'd have to be like between 5 and 6 mons. before it would give pos. reading. Also when I was going through the change horamons test said no and 3 months befroe periods stopped it showed. Dr. just kind of laugh and say I was wired backwards. Its the same as medications I have strange reactions.

wildyard replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I have so far, fortunately, not experienced facial numbness, however I do suffer the ongoing headaches due to the injury to my neck, and also to an inclination to clench my jaws when in pain and not paying proper attention to do my body scanning. This said, I am taking Topomax and have had great relief of the debilitating headaches since I started it. On occasion I still get mild ones, but they are entirely managable. I can't remember the last time I lost a whole day to a severe headache since starting the Topomax. The occasional breakthrough bad headache does occur, but is rare.

Dawnsrain responded:
I feel you. I have the same problem and have yet to find med's to even help with the pain. Relaxing is the only thing I have found t help alittle.

raini72 responded:
i have not had numbness in my face, but have had it all up and down my arm to my fingers and moderate to severe pain in my bicep area...so i kind of know the feeling...has anyone else had the numbness in their arm or like ali, in their face? or anywhere else for that matter?

BelPwnt responded:
Ah numbness, few things are as fun as having my 10yr old say "uh, mommy, you've got something on your cheek" as he indicates the spot on his own face just next to his mouth...half an hour after dinner. My fingers sometimes have that sort of limb-fell-asleep feeling, so do my feet *shrugs* I've come to accept all of it as part of the journey having FM is.

I get menstrual/estrogen migraines with auras and have since I was pregnant with our 12yr old. Interestingly, since I started taking Cymbalta along with the Amitripylin I've gone through my first cycle without getting one in years. It's only once but it's enough to get my hopes up.

Hang in there. I'll leave you with something that got my spirits up on a very bad day recently:

A friend of my daughter's (she's 14) asked her quietly what FM stood for after my daughter had explained I was having a "bad FM day"...she thought about it a moment then said, "It supposed to stand for Fibromyalgia, but I think really it stands for Frustration Mounting!"

alispazz replied to BelPwnt's response:
To all of you...

I have had a chance to ask my neuro..and mine is not auras...mine is caused by severe nerve damage in the neck, and if I move just right I end up with a weird assortment of things...headache, facial numbness, and a scalp so tender you can't touch it....

She did say also that the numbness I fell in my hands and feet are part of the same thing...and part of Fm...

Hope that helps

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

mamawrobyn replied to BelPwnt's response:
I for many years have had the shocking sensations on my left side of my face then around my mouth and tongue.

I just assumed it was from FM. But I havent related them to my migraines, just to extra stress Im experiencing.

I just tell everyone Mars is trying to contact me.

Robyn

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.